"Where! Where!" - the Chinese self-effacing word that misleads native English speaker

Status
Not open for further replies.

tzfujimino

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Re: "Where! Where!" - the Chinese self-effacing word that misleads native English spe

Since Western Culture has profoundly influenced today's youth in China.
Well, I don't think it's a bad thing. We live in an increasingly globalized world, so it's virtually impossible to be independent of outside influence, in my opinion.

Traditionally, well-educated Chinese would respond to "哪里?哪里?" with "过谦了" ("Too modest (you are)". Responding with "谢谢” in the link you offered is completely a result of the Western Culture's influence.
I understand the message you're trying to convey with those phrases. It's probably because we're geographically close to each other. We (Japanese people) have actually borrowed many things from your country.
I personally like the response "Too modest you are.":)

If I'd been asked "Where? Where?" in English in that situation, I'd have responded in the same way as the American in #1.
(Yes, I now know it's not really a question.)

Last edited:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Re: "Where! Where!" - the Chinese self-effacing word that misleads native English spe

How about Not half?

GoodTaste

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China

How about Not half?

What is the nuance between "not half" and "very much" in the context of the OP?

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada

Not half is quintessentially British, so I should defer here to our BrE speakers, but to me it's equivalent to very much but less formal.

Last edited:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan

With a smidgen of modesty.

GoodTaste

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China

The meaning is proper and clear.

But when used in the OP in place of "Where? Where?" Jack's reply would no more be consistent and the story line of being funny would be broken:

Jack, an American, was invited to take part in his Chinese friend's wedding ceremony.
When the bride arrived, Jack cried in admiration:"The bride is so beautiful!"
His Chinese friend replied with "Not half! Not half!" - it is a Chinese word (directly translated into English here) that tended to show the replier's humble or modest manner when being flattered (the italicized part should be removed)
But Jack misunderstood it and echoed with "Everywhere! Everywhere! Eyes, nose, month...all are beautiful!"
All the Chinese guests burst into laughter!

The sidenote "it is a Chinese word (directly translated into English here) that tended to show the replier's humble or modest manner when being flattered" unambiguously points out that it is a direct translation (so it doesn't immediately work in English, rather, it simply serves as a sign to usher the reader to probe its implication in Chinese context, which the write has explained it as "a Chinese word that tended to show the replier's humble or modest manner when being flattered."

"Where! Where!" should be italicized to show that it is not a standard English use but an informal coin from Chinese.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

"Where! Where!" should be italicized to show that it is not a standard English use but an informal coin from Chinese.
That won't tell Anglophone readers what "Where! Where!" means. It means nothing to a reader who's unfamiliar with the Chinese idiom, which is to say, 99% of English speakers.

GoodTaste, I was about to close this thread, but I'd like you to acknowledge that native English speakers have repeatedly assured you that "Where! Where!" is not a useful translation for the Chinese idiom.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada

Also very British;-)

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

It occurs to me that we would have understood the expression more quickly if were "Where? Where?" instead of "Where! Where!"

Status
Not open for further replies.