Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

"Where! Where!" - the Chinese self-effacing word that misleads native English speaker

Jack, an American, was invited to take part in his Chinese friend's wedding ceremony.
    When the bride arrived, Jack cried in admiration:"The bride is so beautiful!"
    His Chinese friend replied with "Where! Where!" - it is a Chinese word (directly translated into English here) that tended to show the replier's humble or modest manner when being flattered.
    But Jack misunderstood it and echoed with "Everywhere! Everywhere! Eyes, nose, month...all are beautiful!"
    All the Chinese guests burst into laughter!

===========================
    The question here is what to reply when you want to show a self-efacing gesture when being flattered. "Where! Where!" doesn't seem to work in English.

2. VIP Member
    Retired English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • Europe
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

Re: "Where! Where!" - the Chinese self-effacing word that misleads native English spe

As the person uttering the words in the situation you outline is not being praised/flattered, he might, if English, reply "I think so too".
    Typoman - writer of rongs

3. Key Member
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Re: "Where! Where!" - the Chinese self-effacing word that misleads native English spe

Quote Originally Posted by Piscean View Post
    As the person uttering the words in the situation you outline is not being praised/flattered, he might, if English, reply "I think so too".
    I don't understand. If your friend praised your bride - "The bride is so beautiful!", isn't it a flatter? You can reply with "I think so too" of course. But if you want to show that you're overly flattered (because the bride is yours, your other half, you both are one), if you want to show that you should be modest in accepting such praise because there are many beautiful brides (of other people's) in the world, what do you reply?

4. VIP Member
    Retired English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • Europe
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

Any praise of my bride is in no way flattering me. Even something like 'You're a lucky man' or 'You made a good choice' is still praising the bride. I am not being flattered.
    Typoman - writer of rongs

VIP Member
    Other
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by Piscean View Post
    Any praise of my bride is in no way flattering me. Even something like 'You're a lucky man' or 'You made a good choice' is still praising the bride. I am not being flattered.
    It would probably be interpreted as bragging about how beautiful your bride is. So in that situation "Where, where?" would make sense.
    I'm not a teacher. I speak American English. I've tutored writing at the University of Southern Maine and have done a good deal of copy editing and writing, occasionally for publication.

6. VIP Member
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Except that "where where" does not make sense to a native speaker. Try something like "you're too kind" or "who? me?"

7. Key Member
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Quote Originally Posted by SoothingDave View Post
    "who? me?"
    Can the adjective "beautiful" be used to describe a man? Isn't the word "handsome" sufficient for man to be proud of himself?

8. VIP Member
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Men aren't usually called "beautiful." I was giving general advice on how to deflect a compliment, a way to look humble.

9. VIP Member
    Other
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

NOT A TEACHER

Good Taste, I was fascinated by your thread because I studied a little Chinese many decades ago, but I never learned about "Where Where."

So I checked the Web and found a good explanation for interested members (and guests). Go to Google and type in these words: How to Ask Where in Chinese. Chinese for us.

10. VIP Member
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Malaysia
      • Current Location:
      • Malaysia

I think there is a miscommunication in the translation of the expression "where? where" (哪里, nali) in Chinese in reply to the compliment about the bride being beautiful. Chinese culture encourages modesty, humility and denial of praises or compliments. But in western culture, when someone gives you a compliment, it is polite to say "thank you". However, in Chinese culture, accepting a compliment like that is considered being proud, so one is expected to be modest and deny the compliment by saying "nali, nali". The literal translation is "where, where?" but it is actually an expression to deny a compliment, like saying, "not at all".
    I am not a teacher or a native speaker.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 Last