• Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

probably nothing...

Dear everybody!
    What is the exact meaning of the phrase in bold? It is from the book “Persian Gulf Command” by Ashley Jackson, p. 204. Of course, its meaning is clear, bit its relationship to the whole paragraph, I mean its role, is ambiguous for me.

Cripps replied to Eden on the same day, 25 October 1941. He reported that the feeling in Soviet government circles and among the population as a whole about the lack of armed help from Britain ‘is very strong indeed’. Diplomatic relations were worsening, and ‘probably nothing less than the dispatch of a force not less than a corps’ and RAF resources ‘is our only hope of checking a dangerous deterioration, not only in the will of the Russians to resist, but also in our relations with the Soviet Government . . .
    Many thanks in advance.

2. VIP Member
    Retired English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • Europe
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

Re: probably nothing...

Cripps replied to Eden on the same day, 25 October 1941. He reported that the feeling in Soviet government circles and among the population as a whole about the lack of armed help from Britain ‘is very strong indeed’. Diplomatic relations were worsening, and probably sending a minimum force of not less than a corps’ and RAF resources ‘is our only hope of checking a dangerous deterioration, not only in the will of the Russians to resist, but also in our relations with the Soviet Government . . .

Does that help?

Cripps is telling Eden that he needs to send a large military force in order to encourage the Russians to resist and to improve relations with the Soviet government.
    Typoman - writer of rongs

VIP Member
    Other
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: probably nothing...

It's awkward phrasing, isn't it? Two less thans in one sentence require a lot of untangling.
    I'm not a teacher. I speak American English. I've tutored writing at the University of Southern Maine and have done a good deal of copy editing and writing, occasionally for publication.