• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

by December itself

I don't understand why "itself" is used here. Is it used as an emphsis of the month? I've checked out "itself" in Random House Unabridged Dictionary of American English and found that using "itself" as an emphasis appears to be confined to "it".

=========================
    With the results of last-stage clinical trials by two Covid-19 vaccine frontrunners Moderna Inc and Pfizer expected in the coming weeks, hopes have risen of securing an antidote to the novel coronavirus by December itself as infections surge across the United States and Europe with the onset of winter. Moreover, despite minor setbacks during Phase III trials in the past two months, the vaccine developed by University of Oxford and AstraZeneca Plc has produced immune responses in both elderly and young people.

Source: The Indian Express October 29, 2020

https://indianexpress.coCovid-19 vaccines status check: Moderna, Pfizer aim to deliver shot by December
    Coronavirus (Covid-19) vaccine status update: Serum Institute said the Covishield vaccine may be ready as early as December, with the first batch of 100 million doses available in India by the second or third quarter of 2021m/article/explained/covid-19-vaccine-latest-update-october-28-6907360/

2. VIP Member
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Malaysia
      • Current Location:
      • Malaysia

Re: by December itself

I agree with you; it doesn't add anything extra to the sentence.
    I am not a teacher or a native speaker.