Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
Hello.
Does the use of infinitive change the meaning of the sentence? It was mentioned in my previous thread, for example, "Facilities to wash it off" and "Facilities for washing it off." I am talking about "cosmetics". The meaning changes in them. Does it also change in the following sentences?
"It is a cosy place to read." I don't think that's correct. And "It's a cosy place for reading." Or "There are facilities for improving your skills." Speaking about language apps. And "There are facilities to improve your skills." Speaking about language labs.

Yankee

Banned
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I would not infer any difference in usage.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

tzfujimino

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
What do you exactly mean by "facilities" in your context of cosmetics?

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
I clearly told you that was wrong in the other thread.

I didn't say I didn't understand that. I don't need to reread the thread. I answered the question in post 7.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
If you understood in the previous thread that we don't have/use "facilities" to wash off makeup, why did you use it again in this thread?

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
If you understood in the previous thread that we don't have/use "facilities" to wash off makeup, why did you use it again in this thread?

I asked does it also change in my new sentences and provided an example from my previous thread with a sentence where it does.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I didn't say I didn't understand that. I don't need to reread the thread. I answered the question in post 7.
But you didn't follow the advice. No one uses facilities to remove makeup.

You might use a washcloth or a Kleenex. You wouldn't use a facility. It doesn't make sense.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I asked does it also change in my new sentences and provided an example from my previous thread with a sentence where it does.
If you removed to, it would make even less sense.

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
But you didn't follow the advice. No one uses facilities to remove makeup.

You might use a washcloth or a Kleenex. You wouldn't use a facility. It doesn't make sense.
This is your answer below from that thread. You didn't remove "facilities" it wasn't crossed out so I thought using it wasn't wrong.
"For more context. "She has a lot of cosmetics and facilities for washing it off." Or "There are a lot of facilities to wash it from the face."
https://www.usingenglish.com/forum/threads/283660-quot-Our-skin-quot-or-just-quot-skin-quot post #2

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
This is your answer below from that thread. You didn't remove "facilities" it wasn't crossed out so I thought using it wasn't wrong.
"For more context. "She has a lot of cosmetics and facilities for washing it off."

That's fine. It means she has (a) plenty of makeup and (b) plenty of places where she can remove it.

Or "There are a lot of facilities to wash it from her face."

A facility is a place. In this case, it would be a place with a washroom. So that sentence means she had several places where she could go to wash – maybe her apartment, her workplace, her school, and a friend's house.

I don't think that's what you're trying to say.

If that's what you meant to say, then it's fine.

https://www.usingenglish.com/forum/threads/283660-quot-Our-skin-quot-or-just-quot-skin-quot post #2
That's the best I can do on this one. I hope it helps!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.