Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
The 10% not reaching the expected level at age 7 becomes 20% by age 11 and, in 2011, 36% did not gain grade C at GCSE. Pupils known to be eligible for free school meals achieve markedly less well than their peers and increasingly so as they move through their schooling.(Mathematics: made to measure by OFSTED.gov.uk)

Is "so" referring to the numbers of "Pupils known to be eligible for free school meals achieve markedly less well than their peers"?

Therefore, "increasingly so" means the numbers increase. Am I correct?

Last edited:

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The 10% not reaching the expected level at age 7 become 20% by age 11 and, in 2011, 36% did not gain grade C at GCSE. Pupils known to be eligible for free school meals achieve markedly less [STRIKE]well[/STRIKE] than their peers and increasingly so as they move through their schooling.(Mathematics: made to measure by OFSTED.gov.uk)

Is "so" referring to the numbers of "Pupils known to be eligible for free school meals [STRIKE]achieve markedly less well than their peers[/STRIKE]"?

Yes.
It's confusing because it's poorly written. I would have said less, not so.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
"achieve markedly less well" is terrible English!

I would remove the "and" before "increasingly so" and change it to a semi-colon followed by "this is".

Maybo

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
"achieve markedly less well" is terrible English!

I would remove the "and" before "increasingly so" and change it to a semi-colon followed by "this is".

Do you mean "...than their peers; this is increasingly so as they move through..."?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England

What numbers?

It means that the effect (of doing less well than their peers) becomes more pronounced as those pupils move through the system.

In other words, the difference in average exam results between students eligible for free school meals and those ineligible is marked at the beginning of schooling, and becomes greater as schooling continues.

Status
Not open for further replies.