Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hello.

When you are driving fast in a highway and look at the guardrails, it looks as though they are moving past you too. How can I express that idea?

Does "flicker" work?

What do you think about this?

I was driving fast on the highway. The rain was pelting down and I could hear the swoosh of water on wet asphalt. Guardrails flickered past on my left side.

Are there other ways to express this?

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Something that shines unsteadily is said to flicker.

Perhaps " Endless stretch of guardrails zoom/race pass my left side."

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hello.

When you are driving fast in a highway and look at the guardrails, it looks as though they are moving past you t[STRIKE]too[/STRIKE]. How can I express that idea?

Does "flicker" work?

I was driving fast on the highway. The rain was pelting down and I could hear the swoosh of water on wet asphalt. Guardrails flickered past on my left side.

The next thing that happens is you lose contact with the surface of the roadway and you hydroplane right off the road. ( Hopefully you will slow down before that happens.)

:)

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hello.

When you are driving fast in a highway and look at the guardrails, it looks as though they are moving past you too. How can I express that idea?

Does "flicker" work?

Yes.

Always!
Keep doing what you're doing: Build that vocabulary!

alpacinou

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Keep doing what you're doing: Build that vocabulary!

Thank you Charlie. Just so I'm clear, is this completely okay?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Something that shines unsteadily is said to flicker.

Perhaps "An endless stretch of guardrails zooms/races pass my left side."

If you use the singular "stretch", you must use the third person singular form of the following verb. You also omitted the article at the start, and you put a space after the opening quotation marks.
If you started with "Endless stretches", no article would be needed and "zoom/race" would be correct.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

Yes, it's okay.

(In real life, of course, it's a bad idea to drive fast when it's wet and rainy.)

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

Good, except for the last four words. No one cares which side the guardrails were on. Just say they flickered past.

Exception:

If important things are happening on both sides, you might need to talk about left and right:

Guardrails flickered past on my left. On my right, the truck was edging toward me, intent on pushing my car through the rail. Enough. I groped under the seat for my Uzi. Lightning flashed, and up ahead, I could make out the road veering hard to the right. It was now or never. And never was approaching fast. It was a death sandwich, and I was the salami. . . .​

(Do you drive on the left in Iran? Since the rail is on the left, I assumed your luckless driver is driving on the left.)

Last edited:

alpacinou

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Good, except for the last four words. No one cares which side the guardrails were on. Just say they flickered past.

Exception:

If important things are happening on both sides, you might need to talk about left and right:

Guardrails flickered past on my left. On my right, the truck was edging toward me, intent on pushing my car through the rail. Enough. I groped under the seat for my Uzi. Lightning flashed, and up ahead, I could make out the road veering hard to the right. It was now or never. And never was approaching fast. It was a death sandwich, and I was the salami. . . .​

(Do you drive on the left in Iran? Since the rail is on the left, I assumed your luckless driver is driving on the left.)

Thanks Charlie. We drive on the right in two-way streets. But on the highways, I usually drive on the left which is the speed lane.

I like your writing. Please write more in the forum.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Thanks Charlie. We drive on the right in two-way streets. But on the highways, I usually drive in the left lane, which is the speed lane.

I guess in that second sentence you are talking about divided highways.

Well, Charlie is smarter than me. ;-)

:)

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Thanks Charlie. We drive on the right in two-way streets. But on the highways, I usually drive on the left which is the speed lane.

We call that the overtaking lane.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
In the UK, that's called the outside lane (the three lanes on a motorway are the inside lane, the middle lane and the outside lane). It used to be commonly referred to as the fast lane but that has fallen out of use somewhat, partly because it was seen to encourage people specifically to drive fast (potentially over the speed limit), rather than to use it only to overtake cars in the middle lane.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
How about flash by?

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member