Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I read an article in The Economist titled "Locks of Luxury" and searched it online and found it used to be a company's name; and then I searched "Locks of Love" and found it to be a charity's name.

The question is: Does "locks" here literally mean "Keeper/protector" when they adopted it as the name of their company or charity organisation? It seems to be so if you look into the pictures of love locks (that is one of the favorite things lovers love to do).

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"Locks" are hair in the organization's name. It was founded to collect donations of human hair which is used to make wigs for cancer patients who have lost theirs to chemotherapy.

GoodTaste

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
If "locks of love" sounded very natural to you, what do you feel for "locks of luxury"? "Locks of hair of love" is clear, but "locks of hair of luxury" sounds odd.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
If "locks of love" sounded very natural to you, what do you feel for "locks of luxury"? "Locks of hair of love" is clear, but "locks of hair of luxury" sounds odd.
It's another way of saying luxurious locks.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan

It's a headline with a specific context, not an attempt at an idiom- it's a play on words, which is common in headlines. I feel fine about wordplay in headlines.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
If "locks of love" sounded very natural to you, what do you think about "locks of luxury"? "Locks of hair of love" is clear, but "locks of hair of luxury" sounds odd.

See above.

GoodTaste

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
See above.

I wonder why "what do you feel" is wrong there when I was tending to talk about a feeling rather than a process of thinking.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I wonder why "what do you feel" is wrong there when I was tending to talk about a feeling rather than a process of thinking.

In that case, ask "How do you feel about XXX?" or "How does XXX make you feel?"

Note the use of "How" and "feel about", not "feel for".

Status
Not open for further replies.