Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
I have chosen a couple of IELTS practice speaking topics and written a paragraph about each one. Please check them and correct any mistakes.

1. Do people in your country prefer music over art?

It's hard to say which one they tend to prefer. Base on my observation, many people like to listen to music while not many people go to art galleries. However, in terms of creation, many people like to do crafts, drawing or floral design while not many people like to sing or compose a song.

2. How can children benefit from learning about art?

It helps with their observation skills and gets themselves familiar with things happening around them. When children draw, they learn about basic conception of proportion and that may help in dealing with 3 dimension topics in Mathematics. Also, if they learn how to use different tools such as glue and scissors, they can use them to do other jobs in their daily life. Drawing is also a way for children to express themselves. Parent can get to know more about their children through their paintings.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I have chosen a couple of IELTS practice speaking topics and written a paragraph about each one. Please check them and correct any mistakes.

1. Do people in your country prefer music over visual art?

It's natural, but given the choice, I'd say or rather than over: Do they prefer this or that?

It's hard to say which one they tend to prefer. Base on my observation, many people like to listen to music, while not many people go to art galleries. However, in terms of creation, many people like to do crafts, drawing, or floral design while not many people like to sing or compose a song.

The second comma I added (the so-called Oxford comma) is optional.

The first is not. Leaving it out is confusing: People might listen to music while cooking, but people don't listen to music while other people are staying home from galleries. (At least, not on purpose.)

It helps with their observation skills and makes them familiar (or familiarizes them) with things happening around them. When children draw, they learn about basic concepts of proportion and that may help in dealing with three-dimensional topics in mathematics. Also, if they learn how to use different materials and tools such as glue and scissors, they can use them to do other jobs in their daily life. Drawing is also a way for children to express themselves. Parent can get to know more about their children through their paintings.
It's good!

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

1. Do people in your country prefer music over art?

It's hard to say which one they tend to prefer. Base on my observation, many people like to listen to music while not many people go to art galleries. However, in terms of [STRIKE]creation[/STRIKE] creativity, many people like [STRIKE]to do[/STRIKE] crafts, drawing or floral design while not many people like to sing or compose a song.

It helps with their observation skills and [STRIKE]gets themselves familiar[/STRIKE] familiarises them with things happening around them. When children draw, they learn about the basic [STRIKE]conception[/STRIKE] concept of proportion and that may help in dealing with three-dimensional topics in mathematics. Also, if they learn how to use different tools such as glue and scissors, they can use them to do other jobs in their daily life. Drawing is also a way for children to express themselves. Parents can get to know more about their children through their paintings.

See above.

With #2, I'm not sure that the prompt wanted you to talk about children actually learning to paint, draw etc. "Learning about art" is different. I think they were talking about teaching kids about famous painters, sculptors and about how important art has been and still is within society.

Maybo

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
See above.

With #2, I'm not sure that the prompt wanted you to talk about children actually learning to paint, draw etc. "Learning about art" is different. I think they were talking about teaching kids about famous painters, sculptors and about how important art has been and still is within society.
I see. Because when I was in primary school, I only drew and did crafts, and I thought this was learning about art. When I got into secondary school, I started to learn about art painters.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I see. Because when I was in primary school, I only drew and did crafts, and I thought this was learning about art. When I got into secondary school, I started to learn about art painters.
We don't say art painters. We say either artists or painters. We sometimes clarify it by saying more about what kind of artist or painter — that is, not a recording artist or a house painter.

Status
Not open for further replies.