[General] Please rate this name idea for my gaming app.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ezen mar

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
I am not an English speaker. Some things are difficult for me.

What do you think about "quizber" as a name for a simple quiz app (games, puzzles and quizzes).
What does quizber mean?

Sounds good?
Makes sense?

Please give me your opinion.

Thanks

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I am not [STRIKE]an[/STRIKE] a native English speaker. Some things are difficult for me.

What do you think about "quizber" as a name for a simple quiz app (games, puzzles and quizzes)? What does "quizber" mean?

[STRIKE]Sounds[/STRIKE] Does it sound good? [STRIKE]Makes[/STRIKE] Does it make sense?

[STRIKE]Please give me your opinion.[/STRIKE] Unnecessary. It's clear that's what you are asking us to do.

[STRIKE]Thanks.[/STRIKE] Unnecessary. Thank us after we help you, by clicking on the "Thank" button.

Please note my corrections and comments above.

The word "quizber" means absolutely nothing in English. That's not a problem for an app, though. You can call it whatever you like! It sounds OK. It has the word "quiz" in it so it would be clear that it's a quiz app. That much, at least, makes sense.

ezen mar

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
Thank you for your corrections above.

Does the name "quizber" suggest any humor? Any sensation? What would a native speaker feel when reading the word "quizber"?

Last edited by a moderator:

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I don't like it. It doesn't sound very good to me, and it doesn't make a lot of sense. What are you trying to do with the '-ber' part?

ezen mar

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
I don't like it. It doesn't sound very good to me, and it doesn't make a lot of sense. What are you trying to do with the '-ber' part?

Hi,
Thank you for your considerations.
We Just trying to find a complement to the word Quiz. We need to use a name that is still unused. We were trying something simple and fun.

Maybe QuizLix?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Does the name "quizber" suggest any humor? Any sensation? What would a native speaker feel when reading the word "quizber"?

It's definitely not humorous. It doesn't make me feel anything at all. Adding "-ber" to the end of a word is not a common technique for making a title. It suggests nothing. All I would think on seeing "Quizber" and "QuizLix" would be "I guess it's a quiz app". I wouldn't really take any notice of the second syllable.

ezen mar

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
It's definitely not humorous. It doesn't make me feel anything at all. Adding "-ber" to the end of a word is not a common technique for making a title. It suggests nothing. All I would think on seeing "Quizber" and "QuizLix" would be "I guess it's a quiz app". I wouldn't really take any notice of the second syllable.

How about MisterQuiz?

tzfujimino

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
How about "z!nb"?

(I don't know how to read it. :cry:)

(Edit) ... or "Quizzaland"?

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
We could be here for weeks while you offer up title after title, all of which consist of the word "quiz" and something else. As far as I'm concerned, as long as it has the word "quiz" in it, you could use it. The only thing you'd need to check is that there isn't already another app with the same name.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I love Quizber, with a capital Q.

It's distinctive, it's simple, it's memorable, it has a playful sound, it's easy to spell, and it suggests the purpose of the app.

Last edited:

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
To ber me with a quiz?
Few brand names are strictly descriptive. And they shouldn't be. Look at poor old International Business Machines. They had to start saying IBM. Otherwise no one would've talked about them at all.

Do you know how they name drugs? Like ibuprofen or Quaalude (love that double-a) or acetominophen or Prozac? The marketing departments do research to come up with strings of random syllables that don't sound like any other drug. (It gets harder every year.) Occasionally a name will be somewhat descriptive, like Sominex. But those are the execptions. And you can't really parse all of Sominex, any more than you can completely parse Quizber. Yet people remember the name Sominex and buy it without thinking about what the word means.

Or think of products and services like Twitter, Kleenex, Swiffer, and Lyft. They give you a sense of what the product does, but they don't spell it out.

The point to the name Quizber isn't to pass muster with English teachers. The point is to get people to use it.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Or think of products and services like Twitter, Kleenex, Swiffer, and Lyft. They give you a sense of what the product does, but they don't spell it out.

If I knew nothing about those products, I would guess:

Twitter = something to do with birds or birdwatching
Kleenex = a cleaning product, probably kitchen or bathroom cleaner
Swiffer = I would have no idea what this is for because "swiff" isn't a verb I'm familiar with
Lyft = a manufacturer of elevators

So I disagree with the underlined statement above.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Quizber grew on me as I went though the thread.

ezen mar

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
Few brand names are strictly descriptive. And they shouldn't be. Look at poor old International Business Machines. They had to start saying IBM. Otherwise no one would've talked about them at all.

Do you know how they name drugs? Like ibuprofen or Quaalude (love that double-a) or acetominophen or Prozac? The marketing departments do research to come up with strings of random syllables that don't sound like any other drug. (It gets harder every year.) Occasionally a name will be somewhat descriptive, like Sominex. But those are the execptions. And you can't really parse all of Sominex, any more than you can completely parse Quizber. Yet people remember the name Sominex and buy it without thinking about what the word means.

The point to the name Quizber isn't to pass muster with English teachers. The point is to get people to use it.

Thank you for your considerations.

It is very interesting how complex the languages ​​are. The way of thinking, the sound and everything.

The main purpose of the quizber question was to make sure it is not an ugly name or to accidentally create an inappropriate word.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thank you for your [STRIKE]considerations[/STRIKE] comments and opinions.

It is very interesting how complex [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] languages ​​are - the way of thinking, the sound and everything.

The main purpose of the "Quizber" question was to make sure it is not an ugly name or, [STRIKE]to[/STRIKE] accidentally, [STRIKE]create[/STRIKE] an inappropriate word.

It's definitely not an inappropriate word (if, by "inappropriate", you mean rude). It's not ugly. It's not pretty, either.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
How about quiz-ickle. That seems slightly amusing to me, but the joke probably works only in AmE. It's meant to be a play on popsicle and quizzical.

Last edited:

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
What do you think about "quizber" as a name for a simple quiz app (games, puzzles and quizzes).

NOT A TEACHER

Ezen Mar, when you do start your quiz app, you might want to include this question: What is the origin of the word "quiz"?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
How about "quiz-ickle"? That seems slightly amusing to me, but the joke probably works only in AmE. It's meant to be a play on popsicle and quizzical.

In BrE, "ickle" is how a baby or toddler might say "little", so "Quizickle" would work for short (small) quizzes, while still being a pun on "quizzical".

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
If I knew nothing about those products, I would guess:

Twitter = something to do with birds or birdwatching

It implies something other than formal talk. It's for extemporizing. It's chit-chat. It's simple chatter. Again, the idea isn't to tell people exactly what the service does. It just creates an impression.

Kleenex = a cleaning product, probably kitchen or bathroom cleaner

It keeps your nose clean. I mean, kleen.

Swiffer = I would have no idea what this is for because "swiff" isn't a verb I'm familiar with

Right! That's exactly the point. No one is. I read an article about the name. The company was trying to invent a new word for the old activity of mopping. Apparently, they nailed it. It makes household drudgery sound fun. The product became an overnight success, mainly thanks to its marketing scheme. (That and it's a good product.)

Lyft = a manufacturer of elevators

Sure. Or it could mean you're asking someone to give you a - uh - lyft. The purpose of creating a brand name isn't to tell people exactly what a company makes or does. The name Lyft doesn't do that any more than the namre Uber does. (And Uber just sounds scary to me. Uber-scary! Just based on the names, I'd feel safer with Lyft.)

So I disagree with the underlined statement above.

It's a free planet
!
So I'm happy with Quizber.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.