Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hello.

Is it correct to say "among which" instead of among them when you are listing something?

Are these sentences correct and natural?

1. Air pollution causes many problems, among which lung cancer is the gravest.

2. Banning fossil fuels has many benefits, among which a reduction of greenhouse gases emission is the most notable.

3. There are numerous factors that can affect a child's perception of correct behavior, among which parents' upbringing is the most influential.

4. Happiness can be affected by many factors, among which belong to a family is the most significant.

5. There are man reasons why organic farming is not popular, among which high water consumption is the most important.

6. Some activities can help reduce stress, among which doing yoga and listening to music come to my mind right now.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Hello.

Is it correct to say "among which" instead of among them when you are listing something?

1. Air pollution causes many problems, of which lung cancer is the gravest. (, the gravest of which is lung cancer).

2. Banning fossil fuels has many benefits, among which a reduction of greenhouse gases emission is the most notable. OK

3. There are numerous factors that can affect a child's perception of correct behavior, among which
the most influential is the upbringing by the parents.
I think this sounds better. Also the original is ambiguous between the
upbringing by the parents of the child, and the upbringing of the parents.

4. Happiness can be affected by many factors, among which
the most significant is belonging to a family.

5. There are many reasons why organic farming is not popular, among which high water consumption is
the most important. (I'd change the order, as above).

6. Some activities can help reduce stress, among which doing yoga and listening to music come to my mind right now. OK
These are OK. The change is stylistic. No 6. is actually the only one I'd leave in the original order.
"Of which" sounds better if it's a single factor, like 1 - to me "of which" sounds better in most.

alpacinou

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
These are OK. The change is stylistic. No 6. is actually the only one I'd leave in the original order.
"Of which" sounds better if it's a single factor, like 1 - to me "of which" sounds better in most.

Is "among which..." technically an adjective clause?

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hello.

It's fine. Or if you cut them into two sentences, you could begin the second sentence with Among them, . . . .

1. Air pollution causes many problems, among which lung cancer is the gravest.

Yes.

2. Banning fossil fuels has many benefits, among which a reduction of greenhouse gases emission is the most notable.

Yes.

3. There are numerous factors that can affect a child's perception of correct behavior, among which parents' upbringing is the most influential.

Yes.

4. Happiness can be affected by many factors, among which belonging to a family is the most significant.

Yes, as fixed.

5. There are many reasons why organic farming is not popular, among which high water consumption is the most important.

Yes, as fixed.

6. Some activities can help reduce stress, among which doing yoga and listening to music come to my mind right now.

Yes.
I think you've got that little rascal right where you want it.

(Raymott's suggestions are all good, but you need to change anything if you like them the way you wrote them.)

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Say:

greenhouse gas emissions