• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Bengali; Bangla
      • Home Country:
      • Bangladesh
      • Current Location:
      • Netherlands

Motivation Letter Writing for PhD

Dear Friends, I would highly appreciate your suggestion to improve my writing................

Thank you for your time and interest in reading my letter. I want to take this honour to be a candidate for the PhD position in Cancer Biology under your supervision at the Department of --------. After the bachelor degree in -----, I was privileged being accepted for the ---- at the University of Antwerp, Belgium; where I had the opportunity to conduct a research internship on stem cell project and Master thesis in Molecular Medicine. Now I am looking forward to continuing as a PhD student.

I realized my passion to direct my career path towards the challenge of a PhD during undergraduate study, when I felt my curiosity to understand the deep and hidden mechanism of biological functions and disease pathogenesis. Indeed, this intense enthusiasm for exploring the hidden answers motivated me to study hard and achieve top 5% rank in the final results from Bachelor to Master’s study with a view to pursuing my higher study in a top ranked research institute. Therefore, PhD in Karolinska Institute is my dream. I had a long-term passion for higher degree research in cancer biology and when I found this vacancy in Natures Careers, I felt that this is the project that would aptly suit to my appetite.

From the passion of cancer research, I took an opportunity to conduct a research internship on stem cell research project during EUCOMOR program at the Justus Leibig Universitat Giessen, Germany; in order to get hands on skills in cell culture techniques, in vitro experimental procedures, to enhance my knowledge in stem cell biology and the pathogenesis of tumor development. This internship facilitated in my master thesis on STING (Stimulator of Interferon Gene) signalling pathway under Prof. Massimo Mallardo at the University of Napoli, Italy. STING protein recently came up as an important molecule having regulatory role in innate immunity and cancer immunity through cytosolic DNA sensing pathway. My responsibility was to make STING knockout from THP1 cells using CRISPR/Cas9 mediated Lentiviral transduction procedure and to study the effect of STING in monocyte to macrophage differentiation after treating with PMA.

Materially, as a course of my long-term curiosity, passion and an insatiable interest that has grown from the current master thesis topic, I am highly excited about this PhD project. Since the Biology course during higher secondary schools, the most important things that fascinated me are the DNA structures, DNA Replications and cell divisions. It was my age long curiosity to know how the life began early of this universe. To begin the first life of this earth, how the first genetic material was formed? Particularly the transcriptional and translational machineries are probably the most mysterious events in the biological system. However, now I understand that some rare defects in these events lead to cancer progression. I got a belief that the mystery of many cancer pathogenesis and their possible cure are hidden within the DNA and central dogma and we are yet to explore a lot of information that are hidden in these molecular events. Understanding the mechanism of how DNA replication starts in the cell could provide answer to the many questions.

The genomic instability is considered as the driver of tumor metastasis. After PhD I will continue as a post doc to investigate the relationship of replication stress with autophagy and EMT (Epithelial to Mesenchymal Transition), since both are activated downstream of cGAS-STING pathway and it has been reported that the error in chromosome segregation during cell division results micronuclei formation which is sensed by cGAS-STING pathway followed by non-canonical NF-κβ formation and metastasis. Thus, investigating the relationship in these events in order to find out the earliest possible therapeutic target to prevent cancer progression would be my future focus area of research.

This PhD will provide me an inspiring environment to grow myself as an independent scientist by giving exposure to the highest standard supervision from world renowned professors, most-latest research technologies and wide variety of frontline techniques. Particularly, getting skills in automated microscopy and live cell imaging techniques are really important for me to thrive in a top-class research environment and to continue my future research career in this field.

I feel that I have the required knowledge, skills and expertise to contribute to this project. From the multidisciplinary EUCOMOR program, I got skills in --------------- and other molecular techniques. In my past academic achievements, I demonstrated myself as an excellent researcher. I attained more than 85% marks in both the Master thesis conducted before. Besides, I am highly flexible, committed and responsible for my work. My biggest strength is the critical thinking ability, self-motivation and the ability to work under pressure to meet the deadlines. Moreover, the joined European Masters Program in four Universities of the four different European countries has increased my communication and collaborative skills to unknown heights.

Lastly, from the afore-mentioned criteria, allow me to express that I deserve to be a member of your team. I would appreciate the opportunity for a personal interview to discuss my background and expertise as well as the project in more detail. Please take my appreciation and gratitude for your further assessment and consideration.
    Last edited by Mazid1989; 18-Nov-2020 at 16:55. Reason: Typo