Re: In other words consciousness is an illimitable power...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phaedrus

Banned
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

If I had the time and the inclination, I'd construct a syntax tree or a Reed-Kellogg diagram.

It turns out I got inspired to attempt a Reed–Kellog-style diagram of the sentence. The attached image visually depicts what I described in my last post. With its exotic multitude of clauses, this sentence of Henry James's seems to me uniquely suited to Reed–Kellogg diagramming. An X-bar syntax tree would, I suspect, be a ghastly monstrosity by comparison, though it would be interesting to see this diagram next to a tree.

My last post landed this thread in the General Language Discussions subforum. Should the moderators now see fit to move the thread to the Analysing and Diagramming Sentences subforum, I'd be content with that result. Being a newbie, the OP probably can't find the thread anymore anyway. I'm very curious to know what TheParser thinks of the diagram. This is my first attempt at an advanced Reed–Kellogg diagram.

Attachments

• Henry James Sentence.jpg
    Henry James Sentence.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 13

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

NOT A TEACHER

Hi, Phaedrus:

1. Your Reed-Kellogg diagram is a beautiful sight to behold.

2. Some learners of English would really improve their mastery of the traditional parts of speech if they were to learn at least the rudiments of Reed-Kellogg, IMHO.

3. Your diagram is way too difficult for me.

4. I am 83 years old, so I have another excuse for not being able to comment on your beautiful diagram: It's too blurry for me to read.

5. Have you checked out Sister Bernadette's Barking Dog by Kitty Burns Florey? It contains long diagrams like yours.

Have a nice weekend!

tzfujimino

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan

You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din.

Joseph Rudyard Kipling
:)

Status
Not open for further replies.