Student or Learner
Native Language
French
Home Country
Belgium
Current Location
Belgium
https://voca.ro/18gvPxDWXU22

Sorry if it's a bit long! I tried to record myself reading a newspaper article out loud. This one is from the New York Times. I try to do this exercice as often as possible to work on pronunciation and speech fluency.

Don't hesitate to give me your impressions^^

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
It's good. However, give us a text of you speaking naturally, not reading, and well be able to hear what you really sound like- reading texts aloud makes for unnatural intonation.

I had to click on your profile to see where you are from.

Ice-Kagen

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
French
Home Country
Belgium
Current Location
Belgium
Thank you for your feedback! I'll try to do that^^

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thank you for your feedback! I'll try to do that.

^^ :cross: Don't try to make your own emoticons. If you really need one, click on the :) button in the toolbar and choose one.

Note my correction (in red) and comment (in grey) above. In future, there is no need to write a new post to thank someone. Simply click on the "Thank" button on any post you find helpful.

Ice-Kagen

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
French
Home Country
Belgium
Current Location
Belgium
I didn't invent that emoticon, it exists. Is it forbidden in the rules of the forum to use keyboard emojis? I'll remember the rule about using the button!

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I didn't invent that emoticon, it exists. Is it forbidden in the rules of the forum to use keyboard emojis? I'll remember the rule about using the button!

I didn't say you invented it, but you tried to use one that isn't from the forum's list of emoticons. Also, you used it instead of a closing punctuation mark. That was incorrect. You must end a sentence with a punctuation mark, and then a space before any emoticon.

I've seen ^^ here from a few learners but I still have absolutely no idea what it's supposed to mean. It just looks like a cat's ears to me.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
A few years ago, if memory serves, a user told us what ^^ supposedly means in text or chat, but I am currently unable to find the thread, nor an authoritative answer on the web. In any case ^^ isn't part of the English language so in my view it has no place here.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Your pronunciation isn't bad, but it would help if you paced yourself. You tend to run syllables together, which makes some of the words hard to understand.

Status
Not open for further replies.