Interested in Language
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
What is a prayer strategy below?

Fifteen days after President Trump lost the election, there is no indication that any significant voter fraud took place.

That hasn’t stopped the president and his supporters from making all kinds of claims to the contrary. Over the past two weeks, there has been a whole lot of shouting, a deluge of legal filings and plenty of denial from Mr. Trump and his allies.

What there hasn’t been? Any real evidence that the election was unfairly decided.

The clearest tell that Mr. Trump’s effort is a security blanket and a prayer strategy is the difference between what Mr. Trump’s supporters say in the press and what they say in court, where lying under oath is a felony.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You don't have any of that in quotes, so I should be able to assume that those are your words.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
What is "a prayer strategy" below?

If you wrote that piece yourself, you must know what it means. If you did not write it yourself, you must provide the source and author.

hwpc48

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
The article is from an article titled * On Politics: ‘This Is Not a Fraud Case’ written by Lisa Lerer in NY Times mail magazine dated Nov. 18.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Thank you. In future threads, please give us such information in post #1.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
She is entitled to to her opinion, and you are entitled to yours.

(Logically, a prayer strategy is a strategy involving prayer.)

Last edited by a moderator:

Phaedrus

Banned
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In this context, I interpret "a prayer strategy" as meaning "wishful thinking as embodied in claims publicly made."

According to Lerer, Trump wants people to believe voter fraud took place and thinks they will if he keeps publicly voicing his claims in the right way.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
It strikes me as a strategy that would require divine intervention rather than one based on the law or the facts.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I'd never heard the phrase prayer strategy before this thread. A quick bit of googling has told me that it's a common phrase among US Christians, for whom it relates to the content and manner of prayer.

I guess the writer here is trying to suggest that Mr Trump's strategy has as much chance of working as the chance that God will answer one's prayers. I suppose that as an atheist, the writer considers this strategy to be above all hopeful and desperate.

Status
Not open for further replies.