Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hi there. Would you please proofread the following text? Any help would be appreciated.

Laohu jogged over to his Aunt Jingying’s and told her about Weifeng’s symptoms; he was nervous and excited, and at first, he couldn’t get the words out right, but Jingying got the gist of what he was trying to say. “Slow down, Laohu I get it, I’ll go over while you let your mothers know, you had better grab your stepfather too”. As Jingying watched her nephew leave; she smiled, reminiscing about when she was carrying Yang, and how nervous his father was. Jingying called out to her son and asked him to keep an eye on his sister for a while.

Laohu went through the same confusing scene with his mother and stepfather, who also managed to untangle his words into something comprehensible. Jiang went straight over to see Weifeng while Lili went with her son to get Weifeng’s mother, which was a good thing as she had no idea about what Laohu was talking. Laohu did manage to give Weifeng’s message to her mother quite clearly, but that almost made things worse. “What do you mean she’s OK, why would you come over to tell me that if there wasn’t something wrong”? Lili calmed her down and cleared things up, and then they went over to see Weifeng. By the time they arrived, the house was quite crowded, Jiang was examining Weifeng and Jingying was assisting him.

When Laohu arrived, Jiang looked at both of them and said. “Well, it seems that unless she’s only very late with her Menses she’s going to have a baby in about nine months, give or take two weeks. Congratulations, you’re going to be parents.”

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Hi there. Would you please proofread the following text? Any help would be appreciated.

Laohu jogged over to [STRIKE]his[/STRIKE] Aunt Jingying’s and told her about Weifeng’s symptoms. He was nervous and excited, and at first, he couldn’t get the words out right, but Jingying got the gist of what he was trying to say. “Slow down, Laohu, I get it, I’ll go over while you let your mothers know. You had better grab your stepfather too”. As Jingying watched her nephew leave, she smiled, reminiscing about ?? when she was carrying Yang, and how nervous his father was. Jingying called out to her son and asked him to keep an eye on his sister for a while.

Laohu went through the same confusing scene with his mother and stepfather, who also managed to untangle his words into something comprehensible. Jiang went straight over to see Weifeng while Lili went with her son to get Weifeng’s mother, which was a good thing as she had no idea about what Laohu was talking. Laohu did manage to give Weifeng’s message to her mother quite clearly, but that almost made things worse. “What do you mean she’s OK; why would you come over to tell me that if there wasn’t something wrong”? Lili calmed her down and cleared things up, and then they went over to see Weifeng. By the time they arrived, the house was quite crowded. Jiang was examining Weifeng and Jingying was assisting him.

When Laohu arrived, Jiang looked at both of them and said. “Well, it seems that unless she’s only very late with her Menses she’s going to have a baby in about nine months, give or take two weeks. Congratulations, you’re going to be parents.”

There are still many comma splices.
Menses is not capitalized and you have been told to change that to "period".

rodgers white

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Thank you for your patience. I thought the word 'menses' was OK because Jiang was a healer-an ancient doctor. He might use the word 'menses' instead of 'period'. By the way, what do you mean by 'she smiled, reminiscing about ?? '?

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Yes. "menses" is fine coming from a.doctor.
We normally reminisce about something/a period in the past, not about "when something happened".

rodgers white

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
So, maybe I should say: ... she smiled, reminiscing about the days when she was carrying Yang, and how nervous his father was.
Please let me know if you have found something wrong in the sentences. Your help would be appreciated.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
That's much better

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

Laohu jogged over to his Aunt Jingying’s and told her about Weifeng’s symptoms. He was nervous and excited, and at first, he couldn’t get the words out right. But Jingying got the gist of what he was trying to say. “Slow down, Laohu. I get it. I’ll go over while you let your mothers know. You had better grab your stepfather too”. As Jingying watched her nephew leave, she smiled, reminiscing about when she was carrying Yang[STRIKE],[/STRIKE] and how nervous his father was. Jingying called out to her son and asked him to keep an eye on his sister for a while.

Laohu went through the same confusing scene with his mother and stepfather, who also managed to untangle his words into something comprehensible. Jiang went straight over to see Weifeng while Lili went with her son to get Weifeng’s mother, which was a good thing, as she had no idea [STRIKE]about[/STRIKE] what Laohu was talking about. Laohu did manage to give Weifeng’s message to her mother quite clearly, but that almost made things worse. “What do you mean she’s OK? Why would you come over to tell me that if there wasn’t something wrong?" Lili calmed her down and cleared things up, and then they went over to see Weifeng. By the time they arrived, the house was quite crowded, Jiang was examining Weifeng, and Jingying was assisting him.

When Laohu arrived, Jiang looked at both of them and said, “Well, it seems that unless she’s only very late with her period she’s going to have a baby in about nine months, give or take two weeks. Congratulations, you’re going to be parents.”
If her period is late because she's pregnant, the birth will be in less than nine months. It will probably be in seven or eight months.

AVOID RUN-ON SENTENCES!

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
There are still many comma splices. . . .
Ted, your edits are good, but I wouldn't encourage Rodgers to use semicolons yet. It leads to run-on sentences, which is a habit Rodgers hasn't broken yet. Periods and commas need to be completely mastered first.

rodgers white

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
If her period is late because she's pregnant, the birth will be in less than nine months. It will probably be in seven or eight months.

AVOID RUN-ON SENTENCES!

Thank you so much for your patient work. I try not to use semicolons as you recommend before periods and commas are completely mastered. I will do my utmost to avoid run-on sentences.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Thank you so much for your patient work. I try not to use semicolons as you recommend before periods and commas are completely mastered. I will do my utmost to avoid run-on sentences.
Excellent! You'll be glad you did!

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Ted, your edits are good, but I wouldn't encourage Rodgers to use semicolons yet. It leads to run-on sentences, which is a habit Rodgers hasn't broken yet. Periods and commas need to be completely mastered first.

I agree with you, Charlie. We don't use semi-colons unless two sentences are inseparable. A clean break is better.

Status
Not open for further replies.