Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
Belarus
There is even a special pet hotel in Newcastle-upon-Tyne that offers cats and dogs an opportunity to exercise in the indoor gym, relax in the Jacuzzi or watch videos of their owners on personal TV and video sets.

What is a video set?

The above was written by a non-native English speaker, so I won't be surprised if the word is the writer's invention. :)

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
There is even a special pet hotel in Newcastle-upon-Tyne that offers cats and dogs an opportunity to exercise in the indoor gym, relax in the Jacuzzi or watch videos of their owners on personal TV and video sets.

What is a video set?

The above was written by a non-native English speaker, so I won't be surprised if the word is the writer's invention. :)
I've never heard it and couldn't find it in Google.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I think it's meant to be read as "TV and video + sets". It's a TV set with an inbuilt video tape player.

TV and video.jpg

PeterCW

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
In BrE a "television set" is a device for watching television programmes. The word "set" is frequently omitted these days. Judging by previous replies American English never distinguished between the process of televisual broadcasting and the machines for watching broadcasts.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In BrE a "television set" is a device for watching television programmes. The word "set" is frequently omitted these days. Judging by previous replies American English never distinguished between the process of televisual broadcasting and the machines for watching broadcasts.
We used to call the viewing devices "TV sets", but usually just call them "TVs" nowadays.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I think it's meant to be read as "TV and video + sets". It's a TV set with an inbuilt video tape player.

View attachment 3740

Yes, now you've pointed that out I see my interpretation of "set" was wrong in that context. I should have known better too, for when I lived in Florida I discovered that my American satellite TV service had a channel aimed exclusively at dogs. Who knew that dogs like watching TV? It was just endless hours of dogs getting in and out of cars or dogs watching TV.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I'm speculating here.

In the world of movie and television making, a "set" is the place where the action that is being recorded takes place (unless it's "on location".) I guess "video set" simply acknowledges that the camcorder has replaced the bulky old movie and TV cameras.
That doesn't fit the context of dogs watching TVs and video sets.

Status
Not open for further replies.