Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hi, how should I memorize vocabulary? I first check them on dictionary, then write examples for every definition
When I see them somewhere I remember the meaning and I don't have trouble in understanding them
But they don't come to my mind when I'm talking
What should I do? Review them everyday?

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Hi, how should I memorize[STRIKE] vocabulary[/STRIKE]?
You don't memorize vocabulary; you memorize new words. Vocabulary is a body of words in a language and is singular.

I first check [STRIKE]them[/STRIKE] new words I come across [STRIKE]on[/STRIKE] in the dictionary, then write example[STRIKE]s[/STRIKE] sentences [STRIKE]for every definition[/STRIKE] with each new word.
When I see them [STRIKE]somewhere[/STRIKE] again, I remember [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] their meanings [STRIKE]and I don't have trouble in understanding them[/STRIKE].
But they don't come to my mind (spontaneously) when I'm talking.
What should I do? Review them every day?

There is active vocabulary which are words which we use when we speak or write, and there is passive vocabulary which are words that we know their meanings but do not normally use. It is only natural that we know more words than we use. I believe being able to use a broader vocabulary in speaking and writing can be achieved through a lot of reading, listening, writing and speaking. It is more effective if one is in an environment where good English is used and spoken. It is a very gradual process and comes naturally.

Making sentences with new words that you learn helps. How many words can you consciously review and memorize on a daily basis? I don't think it is a sustainable method of learning. For learners, I think it is more important to learn correct English than having a wide vocabulary. The latter comes naturally as you improve in the former.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Sam, I hope you noticed that Ted's corrected version of your text added a full stop/period at the end of every sentence.

It's very important to get into the habit of using correct punctuation at all times.

Status
Not open for further replies.