Is my pronunciation of 'lightning' right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The first pronunciation is understandable in context. Try reducing it to two syllables by reducing the /t/ to a stop. It should be something like "lie'-ning".

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Have you discovered Forvo yet, mohammedabo? Select English from the list of languages, type an English word into the search box, and then listen to the various recordings of that word by native speakers from all over the world. I suggest you choose one variant of English and listen to speakers of only that variant, to avoid confusion. Listen to the word multiple times, then try to copy it exactly. Some words will be easier to mimic than others.

mohammedabo

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
Have you discovered Forvo yet, mohammedabo? Select English from the list of languages, type an English word into the search box, and then listen to the various recordings of that word by native speakers from all over the world. I suggest you choose one variant of English and listen to speakers of only that variant, to avoid confusion. Listen to the word multiple times, then try to copy it exactly. Some words will be easier to mimic than others.
Yes, I have. I use it too many times. I prefer to speak some words which I feel I ca not pronounce well.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Yes, you are right. I dropped the t sound totally.
I stopped my air on sayig light..n

https://vocaroo.com/1nOFTLYjjgsO
The previous ones were better. These sound like "light-uh-ning". You've introduced a vowel sound between the "t" and the "n".

We don't really pronounce the "t" except by momentarily stopping the flow of air.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Yes, I have. I have used it [STRIKE]too[/STRIKE] many times. I prefer to try and [STRIKE]speak[/STRIKE] concentrate on [STRIKE]some[/STRIKE] words which I feel I cannot pronounce well.

Note my corrections above. You need to study the use of "too". I recall having to change several of instances of "too much" in some of your other threads, and in this one you misused "too many".

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Is my pronunciation of 'lightning' right?
No, it's terrible. The word "lightning" has only two syllables, not three.
Try to say it as "light" (one syllable) + "ning" (one syllable, rhymes with "ring").

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Did you listen to all the pronunciations on Forvo? You said you wanted to use it only for words you can't pronounce well. "Lightning" appears to be one of those words.

mohammedabo

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
Did you listen to all the pronunciations on Forvo? You said you wanted to use it only for words you can't pronounce well. "Lightning" appears to be one of those words.
I use you tube live people.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
I am sorry that you felt so.It is because there are two n sounds.
No. The problem is that you introduce a schwa sound in the middle. This has nothing to do with "lightning" having two "n" sounds. As I said, break it up into two sound units: "light" and "ning", and after practising saying those separately, try saying them one after the other.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It means the famous video site youtube.

You mean YouTube. You should copy the capitalisation from their own logo.

What does "live people" mean?

mohammedabo

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
I meant I listen to people speaking not electronic machines as in some offline dictionaries.

Status
Not open for further replies.