Hey, I do a little sociolinguistic research :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vi from Belarus

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
Belarus
I would be very happy if you would take the following survey. It's about variable phenomena of the English language. You can choose the variant that you prefer in colloquial speech.
(The link was deleted)
If there are typos or mistakes, please tell me)
Thank you very much!

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I [STRIKE]will[/STRIKE] would be very happy if you would take the following survey. It's about variable phenomena of the English language. You can choose the variant that you prefer in colloquial speech.

https://forms.gle/Ahn3CpE6tofH8fRY6

[STRIKE]Maybe[/STRIKE] If there are typos or mistakes, [STRIKE]then[/STRIKE] please tell me. [STRIKE]about it please)[/STRIKE]

Thank you [STRIKE]a lot[/STRIKE] very much.

^^ - Please don't use this weird emoticon. It means nothing here. If you really need an emoticon, click on the :) icon in the toolbar and choose one. Remember that an emoticon is never an acceptable replacement for a closing punctuation mark.

Welcome to the forum. :hi:

Please note my corrections above. I'll take a look at the survey later if I have time.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I did it. Question 14 was unintelligible to me.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I have taken the survey. Here are my comments:

1. It's unnecessary to keep repeating "You can answer this in your native language" on each question on page 1. Put that information at the top and it will refer to all questions.
2. Social status is too vague. Some people won't understand the question, and you'll get a whole range of answers that might not actually help you.
3. What's an "English independent user"?
4. Why is "Native speaker" not an option for "Your knowledge of English"?
5. Q14 doesn't contain an option that anyone would use.
6. Q15, Q16, Q20 and Q22 assume that your reader can understand phonetic symbols. I can't, so I just randomly picked an answer.
7. Q17 contains a spelling error. It should be "Too bad ...".
8. Q23 contains a comma splice.
9. "Here you can leave some suggestions and comments, if you have" is an incomplete sentence. You need "any" at the end and it should end with a full stop.
10. Oh, yes. The title. "A small sociolinguistic research" is ungrammatical. "Research" is uncountable and you need "short", not "small".

Vi from Belarus

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
Belarus
Thank you very much! It's so constructively. :up:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thank you very much! It's so constructive. [STRIKE]ly.[/STRIKE] :up:

See above. "Constructively" is an adverb. You needed an adjective. Note that, in future, there is no need to write a post to thank anyone. Simply click on the "Thank" button on any post you find helpful. It saves time for everyone.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I just filled it out. Highly helpful comments:

- The social status question is much too vague. Are you asking about class or what? Occupation? Income? It's not at all clear.

All the choices in 3 and 4 are unnatural.

Question 5 and 23 are run-on sentences. Break them up, or at least use commas.

Question 11 is difficult because in the US both sentences are natural, but they mean different things. A holiday is a day celebrating something, like Christmas or Hanukkah. A vacation is a break from work, school, or other routine and often involves travel.

In question 12, I've never seen Yeh. Maybe the Brits use it. I assume you mean Yeah.

In question 14, do you mean in the company cafeteria? Or do you mean in the company of a friend? It looks like you forgot to finish the sentences.

I don't know the answers to the pronunciation questions, 15, 16, 20, and 22. But your software requires us to answer every question. So I hit the first button on each.

In 17, you want too, not to.

And last but not least, U is not a word! Ow. It's fine to use textspeak to write to your friends, but if you want us to take your work seriously, you have to take your work seriously.

But having said all that, the quiz was fun. Thank you for posting it!

Last edited by a moderator:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
It is a lot of questions for the internet- people often drop out way before 20.

Status
Not open for further replies.