[General] Where do I sound like I'm from?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

tzfujimino

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Your pronunciation sounds like AmE to me.
Brazil?
(I don't know.:oops:)

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I've been speaking English since I could talk. I moved around a lot as a kid.

Please note my added words above. It's important that native speakers/teachers write in complete sentences on the forum so that learners get to see the correct constructions all the time. Thanks.

To me (a Brit) you just sound American. There's a bit of Valley Girl questioning intonation at the end of some of your declarative sentences. I very occasionally detected a little hint of something Hispanic but not much.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Singapore or Hong Kong?

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I think your sojourn in the Netherlands has infected your speech with a tiny trace of a Dutch accent. Have you been there long?

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Netherlands

I've never been to Poland. Interesting though! My parents are Indian. I grew up in the Middle East, and moved around a number of countries after that.

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Netherlands
Your pronunciation sounds like AmE to me.
Brazil?
(I don't know.:oops:)
I've never been there, but I've been told I sound Hispanic. My family is ethnically Spanish, but we do not speak Spanish at all. If possible, would you mind pointing out what makes you think Brazil? I can't quite identify what makes my accent sounds Spanish. Thank you!

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Netherlands
I think your sojourn in the Netherlands has infected your speech with a tiny trace of a Dutch accent. Have you been there long?
It's been just a couple of years now. Possibly!

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Netherlands
I've never been there. Interesting again! Could I ask, are you able to put your finger on what makes you think Vanuatu? Thank you!

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Netherlands
Please note my added words above. It's important that native speakers/teachers write in complete sentences on the forum so that learners get to see the correct constructions all the time. Thanks.

To me (a Brit) you just sound American. There's a bit of Valley Girl questioning intonation at the end of some of your declarative sentences. I very occasionally detected a little hint of something Hispanic but not much.
The questioning intonation is something I've been working on getting rid of. Thank you for the tips on correcting the sentence in my original post! I didn't realize the importance of writing in complete sentences.

tzfujimino

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
I've never been there, but I've been told I sound Hispanic. My family is ethnically Spanish, but we do not speak Spanish at all. If possible, would you mind pointing out what makes you think Brazil? I can't quite identify what makes my accent sounds Spanish. Thank you!

Well, it's just that you sound like my Brazilian friend, who now lives in the U.S. She speaks very good English like you.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.