Any tips on how to approach a complex, narrative, open cloze test?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mixer21

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
This one task seems to be quite an unbreakable barrier for me, even though I have built up a considerable amount of vocabulary to help me handle it. No matter how I try to approach it however, I always get about half of the answers wrong. Any piece of advice would be greatly appreciated.

Example of such task is in the attachment below. (Source: 2nd stage of a national English competition in my country, 2015)

Thank you.

cloze test.jpg

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Why don't you tell us what your answers are? (You'll need to type out the entire piece, including your suggestions for what goes in each blank space.) If you've already got half of them right, it would be a waste of time for us to tell you those answers. Type it out, with your suggestion in bold in each space, and we'll have a look.

Last edited:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
What are the rules for this task and do they allow multiple answers? I am not sure why some gaps have letters and others are blank. I am not sure that many native speakers would get #5 right.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Here's one simple piece of advice: build up your vocabulary even more.

This is a very hard exercise, so don't be disheartened by a 50% success rate. The exercise is deliberately designed to be hard, and it's an extremely hard thing to design, which means that any deficiency will often be with the question itself rather than with your knowledge.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
What are the rules for this task and do they allow multiple answers?

You simply have to fill the gaps with the target words. The idea is that there's just one 'correct' word for each gap, which is the word used in the original text.

I am not sure why some gaps have letters and others are blank.

Giving key letters in some of the words has two goals: a) to elicit the correct answer where there may be multiple equally possible answers; b) to make the question less difficult.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mixer21

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
I should have probably mentioned, that although the original missing words are preferred, filling the gaps with other words, (as long as they make the story logical and cohesive) is still allowed. Which is why I find my 50% score to be prety terrible. I just seem to be lacking the proper technique to approach this, I've tried looking for collocations, translating and retranslating but it's not getting any easier.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Are you going to show us your attempt(s)?

Status
Not open for further replies.