Member Type
Teacher (Other)
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Hi everyone, I have three questions in regards to answering reading comprehension questions.

1. If the passage uses ‘he/she’ for animals, in the answer, should I follow the the passage and use ‘he/she’ even though we should use ‘it’ for animals?

2. If the question ask to define a word, what is the grammatically correct way to format the answer.
Question 1: For example, from dictionary, define ‘happy’.

Question 2: In line 2, what does the word ‘happy’ means?

3. Should the answer always follow the same tense as the question or the tense the passage is written in

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Hello JessicaK, and welcome to the forum. :)
Before we answer your questions, is the information you provided on your profile page correct? If not, please edit that page and provide the correct info.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hi, everyone. I have three questions [STRIKE]in regards to[/STRIKE] regarding/about answering reading comprehension questions.

1. If the passage uses ‘he/she’ for animals, in the answer, should I follow the the passage and use ‘he/she’ even though we should use ‘it’ for animals?

2. If the question asks me to define a word, what is the grammatically correct way to format the answer?

Question 1: For example, from dictionary, define ‘happy’. This is not grammatical, particularly "from dictionary".
Question 2: In line 2, what does the word ‘happy’ [STRIKE]means[/STRIKE] mean?

3. Should the answer always follow the same tense as the question or the tense the passage is written in?

Welcome to the forum. :hi:

Please note my corrections and comments above. Once you have responded to teechar's question in post #2, you will get more responses.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
People often use he/she for pets- what's the text about?

Jessicak

Member Type
Teacher (Other)
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
It says I do not have permission to access to the page when I try to edit my information.

Jessicak

Member Type
Teacher (Other)
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I have already answered to the second question. For some reason, I cannot change my information. Thank you so much for the corrections. Do you have any answers for me? Thank you!

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Have you clicked on Settings, then scrolled down to Edit Profile?

Jessicak

Member Type
Teacher (Other)
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
It worked! Thank you:)

Jessicak

Member Type
Teacher (Other)
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I’ve edited just now:) I have not joined any groups yet but I will definitely look for some groups to join soon.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It says I do not have permission to access [STRIKE]to[/STRIKE] the page when I try to edit my information.

I have already answered [STRIKE]to[/STRIKE] the second question. For some reason, I cannot change my information. Thank you so much for the corrections. Do you have any answers for me? Thank you!

It worked! Thank you.
[STRIKE]:)[/STRIKE] Please don't try to make your own emoticons.

I’ve edited it. [STRIKE]just now[/STRIKE]

[STRIKE]:)[/STRIKE] Please don't try to make your own emoticons.

I have not joined any groups yet but I will definitely look for some groups to join soon.

Please note my corrections to your posts above. I don't know how active groups are here because I don't belong to any. I suggest you take the time to look through the various sections of the forum to see how it all works.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
It's a forum- people talk here. Few join groups.

Jessicak

Member Type
Teacher (Other)
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Does anyone have any answers to these questions?

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Does anyone have any answers to these questions?

Tdol provided an answer to the question about using he or she rather than it for animals. Then he asked what the text was about.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I think only one question remains unanswered. I do know that sometimes the answer to a question is only one word. In any case, I haven't detected any kind of pattern.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Okay, Jessicak, Tdol answered your first question, and I think you said you had an answer to the second. That leaves your third question, which I'm not sure I understand. Please tell us more about this reading comprehension test and clarify the third question if you can.

And are you sure your native language is English? We ask for that information because it may help us to give better answers to your questions.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
3. Should the answer always follow the same tense as the question or the tense the passage is written in

Not in my opinion. The tenses and verb forms used in the answer should follow the meaning of the reply.

Status
Not open for further replies.