Page 2 of 3 First 1 2 3 Last
Results 11 to 20 of 25
  1. #11
    Rover_KE is online now Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    31,386

    Re: Pfizer-BioNTech Vaccine


  2. #12
    probus's Avatar
    probus is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    5,182

    Re: Pfizer-BioNTech Vaccine

    It reminds me of the story about Yehudi Menuhin. When asked by a New York reporter what was the correct pronunciation of his surname he replied with something like "I don't know. It doesn't matter to me. Pronounce it any way you like."
    Last edited by probus; 04-Jan-2021 at 01:09. Reason: Deleted incorrect "famous"

  3. #13
    probus's Avatar
    probus is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    5,182

    Re: Pfizer-BioNTech Vaccine

    Quote Originally Posted by Piscean View Post
    My name is pronounced /paɪsiːən/ (Pie-see-un), not, as I was once addressed, /pɪskiːn/ (piss-keen).
    That sounds pretty fishy to me.

    Since we are now talking about our handles please allow me to explain why I chose Probus. He was one of the late Roman emperors. Unlike his predecessors and successors, who were corrupt or debauched or both, Probus took the job of emperor seriously and tried to do it well.

  4. #14
    Amigos4's Avatar
    Amigos4 is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    100,770

    Re: Pfizer-BioNTech Vaccine

    Quote Originally Posted by probus View Post
    Since we are now talking about our handles please allow me to explain why I chose Probus. He was one of the late Roman emperors. Unlike his predecessors and successors, who were corrupt or debauched or both, Probus took the job of emperor seriously and tried to do it well.
    Et tu Probus! Beware of disgruntled members of the forum! You, too, may suffer the same tragic end that the original Probus experienced in year 282!

  5. #15
    SoothingDave is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    13,445

    Re: Pfizer-BioNTech Vaccine

    Quote Originally Posted by probus View Post
    That sounds pretty fishy to me.

    Since we are now talking about our handles please allow me to explain why I chose Probus. He was one of the late Roman emperors. Unlike his predecessors and successors, who were corrupt or debauched or both, Probus took the job of emperor seriously and tried to do it well.
    And a big supporter of mass transit.
    Last edited by emsr2d2; 04-Jan-2021 at 15:47. Reason: Fixed typo

  6. #16
    Piscean is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • Europe
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    18,485

    Re: Pfizer-BioNTech Vaccine

    Quote Originally Posted by Amigos4 View Post
    Et tu Probus!
    Probe?
    Typoman - writer of rongs

  7. #17
    Rover_KE is online now Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    31,386

    Re: Pfizer-BioNTech Vaccine

    Quote Originally Posted by probus View Post
    It reminds me of the story about Yehudi Menuhin.
    That reminds me of somebody praising a good violinist (stop me if I've told you this before). He said 'He plays the violin like Yehumi ... Mehudi ... Yedumi ... Nigel Kennedy'.
    Last edited by emsr2d2; 04-Jan-2021 at 23:05. Reason: Fixed quote box

  8. #18
    jutfrank's Avatar
    jutfrank is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    13,566

    Re: Pfizer-BioNTech Vaccine

    I see how native English-speakers want to pronounce it 'by-o', because that's how the prefix bio (as in bio-engineering, etc.) is pronounced in English. In German, however, bio is pronounced 'bee-o'.

    I wonder if the founder of the company ever anticipated this issue when thinking of a name.

  9. #19
    emsr2d2's Avatar
    emsr2d2 is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    59,255

    Re: Pfizer-BioNTech Vaccine

    Quote Originally Posted by jutfrank View Post
    I see how native English-speakers want to pronounce it 'by-o', because that's how the prefix bio (as in bio-engineering, etc.) is pronounced in English. In German, however, bio is pronounced 'bee-o'.

    I wonder if the founder of the company ever anticipated this issue when thinking of a name.
    I doubt it. Any more than a BrE/AmE speaker naming their company Bio-xxxxx would wonder "Oh, how are they going to say that in Germany/France/Spain etc?"
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

  10. #20
    GoesStation is online now Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    21,209

    Re: Pfizer-BioNTech Vaccine

    Or that Chevrolet executives never considered what Mexicans and other Hispanophones would think of a car called a Nova. ("No va" means "doesn't go" in Spanish.)
    I am not a teacher.

Page 2 of 3 First 1 2 3 Last

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •