Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
As you may be aware, my family's resident permit is expiring next week.
Due to the current uncertainty of the situation and no regular or direct flight available from my home town, I am not able to bring back my family here before their residence permit expire next week. Therefore. I request that you may please arrange for re-applying for family permit for my family when we have a stable condition and regular flights available.
Please consider my request favourably and arrange for the same as requested.

Please check the sentences above and advise if they are grammatically correct and natural.

Last edited:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
As you may be aware, my family's resident permit is expiring next week.
Due to the current uncertainty of the situation and with no regular or direct flights available from my home town, I am not able to bring [STRIKE]back[/STRIKE] my family here before their residence permit expires next week. Therefore, I request that you may please arrange for re-applying for a family permit for my family when we have a stable condition and regular flights available. Please consider my request favourably and arrange for the same as requested.

Please check the sentences above and advise if they are grammatically correct and natural.​

I think you can do without the "may please" (but what do I know?).

Last edited:

MAJSH

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
I have just edited my post. Please look at my sentences and advise me if they worded correctly.

Sorry for the inconvenience caused in this regard.

Thank you for helping me to correct my sentences.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
As you may be aware, my family's [STRIKE]resident[/STRIKE] residence permit is expiring next week.
Due to the current uncertainty of the situation and because no regular or direct flight are available from my hometown, I am not able to bring back my family here before their residence permit expires next week. Therefore, [STRIKE]I request that you may[/STRIKE] can you please make arrangements [STRIKE]for re-applying[/STRIKE] to reapply for my family's permit [STRIKE]for my family[/STRIKE] when we have [STRIKE]a stable condition[/STRIKE] clarity on the situation and regular flights available?
[STRIKE]Please[/STRIKE] I trust that you will consider my request favourably and assist me with this matter. [STRIKE]arrange for the same as requested.[/STRIKE]
See above.

I have just edited my post.
In future, please don't do that! It makes a mess of the thread. Instead, write a new post.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
See above.

In future, please don't do that! It makes a mess of the thread. Instead, write a new post.

To be fair to the OP, I asked them to enlarge the font in post #1 (see my deleted post #2). That's what they were referring to! I don't think they made any other changes.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I have just edited my post. Please look at my sentences and advise me if they are worded correctly.

Sorry for the inconvenience caused in this regard.

Thank you for helping me [STRIKE]to[/STRIKE] correct my sentences.

I wouldn't use "advise" there.

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
NOT A TEACHER

I am NOT contradicting an answer given by a teacher in this thread.

But I thought that some of my fellow forum members might like to know that some teachers might insist on "... because no regular or direct flight is available from my hometown, ..."

The traditional rule is to use the singular verb to match a singular noun after the conjunction "or." On the other hand, one would say that "no regular or direct flights are available."

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I wouldn't use "advise" there.

I have no problem with advise there, but I'm not sure whether that meaning of advise is Indian English or a Canadianism.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It's OK, but "tell" would be more natural to me. Example:

Tell me if I'm doing this right.

Or:

Tell me if I'm doing anything wrong.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
But I thought that some of my fellow forum members might like to know that some teachers might insist on "... because no regular or direct flight is available from my hometown, ..."
The traditional rule is to use the singular verb to match a singular noun after the conjunction "or." On the other hand, one would say that "no regular or direct flights are available."
You are absolutely right! Thank you for pointing that out. :)
I somehow had forgotten to change "flight" to "flights".
In future, please do not hesitate to point out any mistakes or oversights. I am always grateful when people do. :up:

Status
Not open for further replies.