Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Very nice indeed, Gill21. My only comment is that the E sounds in breathing and keep are too short. They sound like hip but they should sound like sleeve, sleep, or heap. But maybe you pronounce those like sliv, slip and hip? Try for a nice long eeeee sound.

Last edited by a moderator:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
The recording at my end was a little quiet but here are my comments:

"backed away" sounded like "backed a-why". Make sure to use a nice "ay" sound at the end, like "day".
"squeezed" sounded like "squizzed". This is the same issue probus also mentioned - you need to make "ee" sounds longer.
I can't make out the first few words after the part about footsteps dying away. It sounded like "They ah-teknen close ... very close". I listened three times but still couldn't get it.

Generally, it's good. You need to slow down just a little so that words don't run together too much and you either need to speak louder or increase the microphone sensitivity. I had the volume turned up to maximum on my laptop and it was still hard to hear.

roozbehrah

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
The recording at my end was a little quiet but here are my comments:

"backed away" sounded like "backed a-why". Make sure to use a nice "ay" sound at the end, like "day".
"squeezed" sounded like "squizzed". This is the same issue probus also mentioned - you need to make "ee" sounds longer.
I can't make out the first few words after the part about footsteps dying away. It sounded like "They ah-teknen close ... very close". I listened three times but still couldn't get it.

Generally, it's good. You need to slow down just a little so that words don't run together too much and you either need to speak louder or increase the microphone sensitivity. I had the volume turned up to maximum on my laptop and it was still hard to hear.

Note from mod: Response hidden temporarily while the user corrects their member information.

First your pronunciation is very clear and 'emsr2d2' mentioned some good tips. I just want to add that you can work on your /θ/ (th sound) sound as well, it is somehow like /s/ sound but it shouldn't be.

Last edited by a moderator:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Roozbehrah, please correct the information in your member profile. Your location does not appear to be accurate. Once that's done, I will reinstate your response.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Roozbehrah, please correct the information in your member profile. Your location does not appear to be accurate.
And your native language is certainly not English.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Slow it down a bit, but you've got the hang of native pronunciation. :up:

Status
Not open for further replies.