• Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

Re: Could you judge my accent?

Very nice indeed, Gill21. My only comment is that the E sounds in breathing and keep are too short. They sound like hip but they should sound like sleeve, sleep, or heap. But maybe you pronounce those like sliv, slip and hip? Try for a nice long eeeee sound.
    Last edited by emsr2d2; 09-Jan-2021 at 08:29. Reason: Fix typo (probus); fixed two typos (emsr2d2)

emsr2d2 is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

The recording at my end was a little quiet but here are my comments:

"backed away" sounded like "backed a-why". Make sure to use a nice "ay" sound at the end, like "day".
    "squeezed" sounded like "squizzed". This is the same issue probus also mentioned - you need to make "ee" sounds longer.
    I can't make out the first few words after the part about footsteps dying away. It sounded like "They ah-teknen close ... very close". I listened three times but still couldn't get it.

Generally, it's good. You need to slow down just a little so that words don't run together too much and you either need to speak louder or increase the microphone sensitivity. I had the volume turned up to maximum on my laptop and it was still hard to hear.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

roozbehrah is offline Newbie
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    The recording at my end was a little quiet but here are my comments:

"backed away" sounded like "backed a-why". Make sure to use a nice "ay" sound at the end, like "day".
    "squeezed" sounded like "squizzed". This is the same issue probus also mentioned - you need to make "ee" sounds longer.
    I can't make out the first few words after the part about footsteps dying away. It sounded like "They ah-teknen close ... very close". I listened three times but still couldn't get it.

Generally, it's good. You need to slow down just a little so that words don't run together too much and you either need to speak louder or increase the microphone sensitivity. I had the volume turned up to maximum on my laptop and it was still hard to hear.
    Note from mod: Response hidden temporarily while the user corrects their member information.

First your pronunciation is very clear and 'emsr2d2' mentioned some good tips. I just want to add that you can work on your /θ/ (th sound) sound as well, it is somehow like /s/ sound but it shouldn't be.
    Last edited by emsr2d2; 26-Jan-2021 at 12:03. Reason: Response removed pending correction of profile information

emsr2d2 is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Roozbehrah, please correct the information in your member profile. Your location does not appear to be accurate. Once that's done, I will reinstate your response.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

GoesStation is online now Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    Roozbehrah, please correct the information in your member profile. Your location does not appear to be accurate.
    And your native language is certainly not English.
    I am not a teacher.