Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Is there a word for money which is recently and unfairly earned?

In my country, there is a class of people who recently have become rich as a result of dishonest dealings with the government.

I want to use it in this sentence:

This is where the nouve riche, the sharks connected to the government, go to spend their [newly-earned...] money on pretentious clothes and pretentious restaurants.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
If you don't think they deserve it then you don't think they earned it. Perhaps:

This is where the nouveau riche go to spend their ill-gotten gains.

alpacinou

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
If you don't think they deserve it then you don't think they earned it. Perhaps:

This is where the nouveau riche go to spend their ill-gotten gains.

I like it Tarheel. Can I add "newly-acquired" to it?

This is where the nouveau riche go to spend their newly-acquired ill-gotten gains.

Also, is this correct?

The government affiliated nouveau riche roam the streets with Italian super cars, flaunting their ill-gotten gains.

What can I say instead of government affiliated to make clear I mean the nouvea riche who are part of the government?

Last edited:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Yes. I don't have anything to add. You're doing pretty well.

alpacinou

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Just so I'm clear, are these two correct and natural?

This is where the nouveau riche go to spend their newly-acquired ill-gotten gains.

The government affiliated nouveau riche roam the streets with Italian super cars, flaunting their ill-gotten gains.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Just so I'm clear, are these two correct and natural?

The government affiliated nouveau riche roam the streets driving their Italian super cars, flaunting their ill-gotten gains.

Like Ferraris? (If I wanted to show off I would buy a Ferrari.)

alpacinou

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
I have been struggling to put together a sentence.

Can you think of a better way?

The restaurants of the city, where the nouveau riche go to spend their newly-acquired ill-gotten gains, are flashy and flaunty. Overpriced with a fake opulence.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It's "supercars" (one word), not "super cars".

alpacinou

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
It's "supercars" (one word), not "super cars".

I really thought hard but I could not change this sentence:

The restaurants of the city, where the nouveau riche go to spend their newly-acquired ill-gotten gains, are flashy and flaunty. Overpriced with a fake opulence.

Do you have any suggestions?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I think you invented a new word (flaunty). As for "overpriced", those restaurants are overpriced for those of us who can't afford them. Also, I'm not sure what "fake opulence" is.

What happened to the Ferraris?
;-)

alpacinou

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
I think you invented a new word (flaunty). As for "overpriced", those restaurants are overpriced for those of us who can't afford them. Also, I'm not sure what "fake opulence" is.

What happened to the Ferraris?
;-)

A fake opulence is one that is not real. I found falunty in a dictionary: https://www.dictionary.com/browse/flaunty

I'm more concerned about the way the sentence is organized. I have a feeling it's not smooth enough.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
[STRIKE]A[/STRIKE] Fake opulence is [STRIKE]one[/STRIKE] opulence that is not real. I found [STRIKE]falunty[/STRIKE] "flaunty" in a dictionary: https://www.dictionary.com/browse/flaunty

I'm more concerned about the way the sentence is organized. I have a feeling it's not smooth enough.

The restaurants of the city, where the nouveaux riches go to spend their newly-acquired ill-gotten gains, are flashy and flaunty. They are overpriced with a fake opulence.

In your opening sentence, "opulence" is an uncountable noun so you can't use the indefinite article with it. You misspelled the very word you linked to! One person is "nouveau riche" (adjective). The people (plural) you are talking about are the "nouveaux riches" (the "x" and the "s" signify plurals in French). Your final sentence was not a complete sentence.

alpacinou

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
In your opening sentence, "opulence" is an uncountable noun so you can't use the indefinite article with it. You misspelled the very word you linked to! One person is "nouveau riche" (adjective). The people (plural) you are talking about are the "nouveaux riches" (the "x" and the "s" signify plurals in French). Your final sentence was not a complete sentence.

You are a savior. :up:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I think it's the newly rich who flaunt what they have, not the restaurants. What do the restaurants supposedly fake?

Status
Not open for further replies.