Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
1-The best lesson I learnt in my recent managerial/executive roles is that great leader is who empower others not who use power or authority.

2-The best thing that I tried in my recent managerial/executive roles and that it paid off, is that great leader is who empower others not who use power or authority.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
1-The best lesson I learnt in my recent management roles is that a great leader is one who empowers others, not one who abuses power or authority.

2-The best thing that I tried in my recent management roles [STRIKE]and[/STRIKE] that [STRIKE]it[/STRIKE] paid off[STRIKE],[/STRIKE] is that a great leader is one who empowers others, not one who abuses power or authority.
The first one is better.

The second one doesn't quite make sense. If you diagram it, it says "The thing I tried is a great leader is one who empowers others."

You didn't try a great leader, right?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
1. The [STRIKE]best[/STRIKE] most important lesson I learnt in my recent managerial/executive roles is that a great leader is one who empowers others, not one who uses power or authority.

2. The best thing that I tried in my recent managerial/executive roles and that it paid off, is that great leader is who empower others not who use power or authority. :cross: The opening doesn't work at all.

See above.

Economist2010

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
The first one is better.

The second one doesn't quite make sense. If you diagram it, it says "The thing I tried is a great leader is one who empowers others."

You didn't try a great leader, right?

Many thanks for your suggestion.
""The thing I tried in my recent executive roles, is a great leader is one who empowers others, not one who abuses power or authority."

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Many thanks for your suggestion.
""The thing I tried in my recent executive roles, is a great leader is one who empowers others, not one who abuses power or authority."
That doesn't work. You missed the point. See posts 2 and 3 again.

See how you used is twice? It doesn't make sense.

In the first part, you're starting to tell us the thing you tried. So in the second part, you need to tell us what the thing is. But you don't. It's a non sequitur. (You can look up non sequitur.)

Economist2010

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
That doesn't work. You missed the point. See posts 2 and 3 again.

See how you used is twice? It doesn't make sense.

In the first part, you're starting to tell us the thing you tried. So in the second part, you need to tell us what the thing is. But you don't. It's a non sequitur. (You can look up non sequitur.)

Can I say it this way:

"The best thing that I tried in my recent management and executive roles and that paid off, is to empower others, not to abuse power or authority."

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Why do you keep using "tried"?

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Can I say it this way:

"The best thing that I tried in my recent management and executive roles [STRIKE]and that paid off[/STRIKE], is empowering others, not abusing power or authority."
You can use -ing to turn a verb into a noun, a gerund. That way, it's a thing.

Do you feel there's a difference between a management role and an executive role? Do you feel you need to use both management and executive? Would supervisory work?

Since it's the best thing you tried, the reader will know that it paid off.

Economist2010

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
"The thing that I tried in my recent managerial roles and that paid off, is that a great leader is one who empowers others, not one who abuses power or authority."

The above is another suggestion. I removed "best" and kept "paid off"

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The word tried doesn't fit there. You are talking about something you learned. Àlso, we can't be sure what you did and how it paid off. That brings me to my next point. It would probably be better to say what you did and what the results were. Telling people what you did and how you learned from it helps them to understand your point better than speaking in generalities.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
You could replace "tried" with "put into practice".

Economist2010

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
"The thing that I put into practice in my recent managerial roles and that paid off, is that a great leader is one who empowers others, not one who abuses power or authority."

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"The thing that I put into practice in my recent managerial roles and that paid off [no comma] is that a great leader is one who empowers others, not one who abuses power or authority."

Those words at the beginning of the sentence constitute a noun phrase and are the subject of the sentence.

I believe I would settle for being a good leader and let others aspire to greatness. :)

It does look like your writing is getting better.

Economist2010

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
Those words at the beginning of the sentence constitute a noun phrase and are the subject of the sentence.

I believe I would settle for being a good leader and let others aspire to greatness. :)

It does look like your writing is getting better.

"The thing that I put into practice in my recent managerial roles and that paid off is that a great leader is one who empowers others, not one who abuses power or authority."

So the above is totally correct and I can use it?

Someone said the last parts contains some errors. Is that correct?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Sure. Use it how?

Last edited:

Economist2010

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
Sure. Use it what?

Use the below sentence:

"The thing that I put into practice in my recent managerial roles and that paid off is that a great leader is one who empowers others, not one who abuses power or authority."

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Sorry for that (post #15). I meant to ask how you were going to use it. My apologies.
:oops:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
You might want to find a better word than "thing" for a professional LinkedIn bio.

Status
Not open for further replies.