Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hi,

I’m writing an essay about gender-neutrality in English. This survey aims to measure the use of gender-specific and gender-neutral language across the world. Both native English speaker and English learner could participate in the survey. It contains 8 questions and usually takes below 3 minutes.

Thanks in advance.

Link to the survey

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
To my friends here on UE. I did the survey. It's quick, easy and interesting.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hi,

I’m writing an essay about gender-neutrality in English. This survey aims to measure the use of gender-specific and gender-neutral language across the world. Both native English speakers and English learners may participate in the survey. It contains eight questions and usually takes less than three minutes.

Link to the survey

Good night!

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
You could definitely improve your questions somewhat.

For starters, make it clear what you mean by the use of the word man as gender-neutral. There are a few different ways to do that. Give some examples so responders know exactly what kind of language you're thinking of. You've given a couple (using him) in the introduction, but you need more.

Outre

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Thanks for the suggestion. I just edited the description. Yeah, I found some design flaws in the survey, but unfortunately I can't edit it because a number of samples have been collected.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Your edit reveals what I had suspected, Outre—questions 5 and 6 are more likely meant to be about the word men than man. Or were you referring to the use of man to mean 'mankind'? You'll find that different uses have generally quite different levels of acceptability when it comes to gender-neutral usage. Since you haven't sufficiently specified which use of language you're concerned with, I don't think your results are going to be very valid, unfortunately.

Does this essay form part of a university course? In linguistics? Or will this be assessed purely on the English language used?

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Another thing to consider for future research or surveys is the use of the term 'you guys' to refer to anyone in general, not just males. There was a forum thread about this not too long ago.

Outre

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
It's an university course. The essay is primarily assessed on the English language used. The requirement for methodology is not very strict.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It's [STRIKE]an[/STRIKE] a university course.
See above. Use "an" before words that begin with a vowel sound. "University" begins with a Y sound which is a consonant.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
... a Y sound which is a consonant.

Not exactly (it's a 'semi'-vowel—no friction is used to produce it) but your point remains valid.

Status
Not open for further replies.