Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
thanks in advance for spending time helping me with my problem. I am at B2 level, I have been learning English "properly" for 2 years now. My goal is to obtain IELTS 8.0 certificate.
MY QUESTION:
what is the difference between "in turn" and "in turns"?
I have searched for the answer, so this is what I found:
"In turn" means "in exchange, as a response to another action. "In turns" implies that two people or more are taking part in action and just means that one does the action first, then the other, then the other, then the first person, and so on.
-it is correct in some example: They took it in turns to breathe in the smoke, as the substance sizzled with a malicious delight.

I suppose I know for certain what "in turn" is. The problems is at :"in turns". I am being a little confused because of this example : Regular workout helps to stimulate the body's natural repair system, which, in turns, increases our general well-beings to a great extent.
This example shows a different usage of "in turns" which I showed you above. I really don' know why shouldn't I use "in turn" in red sentence but "in turns".

Thank you for your help, I am really grateful. By the way, I want to ask the difference between : 'In doing so" and "in so doing".
Sincere,

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thanks in advance for spending time helping me with my problem. I am at B2 level; I have been learning English "properly" for 2 years now. My goal is to obtain IELTS 8.0 certificate.

[STRIKE]MY QUESTION:[/STRIKE]
My question:

What is the difference between "in turn" and "in turns"?

I have searched for the answer, [STRIKE]so[/STRIKE] and this is what I found:

"In turn" means "in exchange, as a response to another action. "In turns" implies that two people or more are taking part in action and just means that one does the action first, then the other, then the other, then the first person, and so on.

It is correct in some [strike]example[/strike] contexts. For example, "They took it in turns to breathe in the smoke, as the substance sizzled with a malicious delight."

I [STRIKE]suppose[/STRIKE] think/believe I know for certain what "in turn" [STRIKE]is[/STRIKE] means. The [STRIKE]problems[/STRIKE] problem is [STRIKE]at[/STRIKE] with no colon here "in turns". I am [STRIKE]being[/STRIKE] a little confused because of this example:

Regular workouts [STRIKE]helps[/STRIKE] help to stimulate the body's natural repair system no comma here which, in [STRIKE]turns[/STRIKE] turn, increases our general well-[STRIKE]beings[/STRIKE] being to a great extent.

This example shows a different usage of "in turns" [STRIKE]which[/STRIKE] from the one I showed you above. I really don't know why [STRIKE]shouldn't[/STRIKE] I shouldn't use "in turn" in the last example sentence but "in turns".

Thank you for your help; I am really grateful.

By the way, I want to ask the difference between : 'In doing so" and "in so doing". Please start a new thread for this unrelated question.

[STRIKE]Sincerely,[/STRIKE] Unnecessary. You're not writing a formal letter.

Please see my corrections and comments above.

hev vittax

Banned
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
thank you so much

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thank you so much.

Remember to start every sentence with a capital letter and end every sentence with an appropriate punctuation mark. Also note that, in future, there is no need to write a post to say "Thank you" to anyone. Simply click on the "Thank" button in the bottom left-hand corner of any response. If you can't see that button yet, you will be able to after you have made ten public posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.