No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I've never seen the TV show. (This is the first I've heard of it.)

But it's not like the Jeeves of the novels to talk nonesense. That was Bertie's department.

Where does it happen on the video? If you can tell us the place where "Jeeves goes on for several minutes," I'll take a look.

My bad. Just watch the opening.

laurenince525

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Germany
in fact, I still really can't understand the meaning of this phrase and it seems strange to me in general to say this to someone :shock:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
In fact, I still really can't understand the meaning of this phrase and it seems strange to me in general to say this to someone. :shock:

You really don't need to worry about it. I can assure you that it's not in general use (in any variant of English, as far as I know) and you're unlikely ever to stumble across it again. I suggest you move on.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
in fact, I still really can't understand the meaning of this phrase and it seems strange to me in general to say this to someone :shock:
Wodehouse's characters often use descriptive language meant to show that they've been exposed to a high level of education without necessarily absorbing much useful knowledge. The speaker is using a roundabout, vaguely literary way of saying that Bertie has eaten a lot; he's so full of the meat he's been served that he's practically exploding.

If it sounds strange, it's because it's meant to. These characters like to sound different from the common herd.

Status
Not open for further replies.