Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Is the following sentence correct and natural?

Better than buy a rubbish gaming mouse that need to be nearly USD159

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Not only is it not a sentence, it is wrong.

Polyester

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
It's a absolutely simple sentence, what's wrong?

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
It has no main verb, so it's not a sentence. It's also ungrammatical as a phrase.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

Polyester

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
What is an "absolutely simple sentence"?

The sentence is a basic grammar structure. Easy to understand. What's wrong with it?

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The sentence is a basic grammar structure. Easy to understand. What's wrong with it?
It's incomprehensible. It's not a sentence.

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It has no punctuation. The verb that is present has agreement errors. At best it's a sentence fragment. It's incomprehensible to the point I'm not even sure what you're trying to say.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Even though you think it's simple (and you think it's correct), I think you should realise by now that unfortunately you're wrong. Not only have all the native speakers here told you it's wrong, we've also told you we have no idea what you're trying to say. It's both wrong and incomprehensible. The fact that you know what you're trying to say doesn't change that.

kadioguy

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan

I would say:

It would be your better choice to buy this economical mouse than buy that rubbish gaming one which costs nearly USD159!

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia

I would say:

It would be [STRIKE]your[/STRIKE] a better choice for you to buy this economical mouse than [STRIKE]buy [/STRIKE]that rubbish gaming one which costs nearly USD159!

I think this is better.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan

The USD159 mouse is what type?

Last edited:

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I can only guess that the original utterance was never intended to be a sentence in the grammatical sense, but rather a sentence in the sense we normally use it here on the forum (i.e., a string of words that can be finished with a full stop). Perhaps it's meant to be a written comment, on an online forum, for example, made in response to another, such as this:

Better than buying a rubbish gaming mouse that costs nearly US$159!

(I don't know why someone would focus on the fact that something costs nearly $159!)

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I am not sure if it is a choice between buying a cheap or expensive gaming mouse, or an expensive different mouse. I use a trackball mouse- they cost more than ordinary mouses, but reduce your RSI. That could be a substitute for a cheap gaming mouse, whatever that is- I don't play computer games.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I suspect that Polyester means to say that the gaming mouse in question is not cheap, and therefore not worth the price.

Polyester, will you tell us what you mean and in what context you wish to use your sentence, please? You really should know by now that we need this kind of information in post #1.

Polyester

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I suspect that Polyester means to say that the gaming mouse in question is not cheap, and therefore not worth the price.

Polyester, will you tell us what you mean and in what context you wish to use your sentence, please? You really should know by now that we need this kind of information in post #1.

jutfrank,

I wrote too many sentences and posted here. All the comments aren't focusing on helping me to solve the problem. All the comments are targeting me what's wrong with me. For example, someone tried to bully me by what type of English are you writing it? That's not a matter, someone isn't a native teacher or foreigner. They check the dictionaries and telling me wrong? What's going on? I need to you to check the dictionaries to tell me what's it mean? I can check the dictionaries by myself. I need your help? Maybe you aren't helping me. I felt exactly angry with the actions like that. And all the comments here didn't help me to improve the English. Non-native speakers were trying to bullying me. So what? My aims were quite sample. I write a sentence and post here for checking. If you are a native speakers here and telling me it is wrong. I trust you. If you aren't a native speakers here and trying to persuade me to accept you view. I want to say, please shout up and get out.

My last messages are, if you don't like I am here. It's okay. Please ban my account. I don't want to come here again. Please do it. If you don't like my explanations. And a past a few ago, someone come my post and leading Moderator to asking me some kinds questions. These questions are not helping people to learning English. It is absolutely a rubbish comments posting here. I strongly disagree what [vulgarity removed by moderator] you are trying to say.

So, if you don't like my comments here, okay. Please ban my account. I left here forever. Never come back. Byebye.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I am not going to ban you. You choose to come back or not. I asked about the type of mouse to clarify what you meant. Please don't take that as bullying. People were trying to get to the bottom of this sentence.

Thread closed

Status
Not open for further replies.