• Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

v+v-ing and v+to do

Dear teachers,

I found 'v+v-ing' and 'v+to do ' are difficult. So please read the following sentences:
    No.1
    I would hate to get up in the morning and feel there was no p[urpose in my life.
    No.2
    As a top businessman he can't even begin to understand real poverty.
    No.3
    He remembered to pass on most of the information but omitted to mention one or two of the most important facts.

My questions are:
    1. Can I replace the underlined parts in No.1 and No.2 with V-ing?
    2. I think 'to pass' in No.3 is not correct because the thing had already happened. And V-ing should be used.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Thank you in advance.

Jiang

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

Re: v+v-ing and v+to do

1 You could use the gerund there too.
    2 I wouldn't
    3 With remember, it depends on whether the memory came before or after the action. Here, the infinitive is better IMO. The gerund would be used like this:

'Did you pass on the information'
    'Yes, I clearly remember doing it' (= the memory is now and the action past)

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

&
    Dear Tdol,

Thank you very much for your explanation. I understand No.1 and No.2 now.
    But I am not sure if I understand No.3. I try to explain it and please kindly see if my explanation is correct.

I can't use gerund here because 'remembered' is in past tense. And it does't indicate if 'he' still remember it NOW. The sentence only suggests that 'he' remembered it THEN.

Thank you in advance.

Jiang
    Quote Originally Posted by Tdol View Post
    1 You could use the gerund there too.
    2 I wouldn't
    3 With remember, it depends on whether the memory came before or after the action. Here, the infinitive is better IMO. The gerund would be used like this:

'Did you pass on the information'
    'Yes, I clearly remember doing it' (= the memory is now and the action past)

Quote Originally Posted by jiang View Post
    I found 'v+v-ing' and 'v+to do ' are difficult. So please read the following sentences:
    I would like to put some explanations about this, I am not sure if I am allowed to do so or not, since teachers are the ones who are allowed to answer the question and i am not a teacher, any way I will put what I have here and you can reject it if i am not allowed.

First of all (according to the Grammar book I have), there are some verbs come in the form (verb + verb + ing) and you can't use the form (verb + to + verb) with these verbs and vice versa. These verbs you have to memorize them well. The following are some of these verbs:

(verb + verb + ing): stop, delay, facny, consider, admit, miss, involve, finish, postpone, imagine, avoid, aeny, risk, practice

(verb + to + verb): offer, decide, hope, deserve, attempt, promise, agree, plan, aim, afford, manage, threaten, refuse, arrange, learn, forget, fail

Some times when you don't use them often, you may face difficulty in remembering them, and you may ask yourself "what should I use?, should I put 'ing' or 'to...'?". Then, let me give the following rule:
    (verb + verb + ing): usually '-ing' is used for an action that happens before the 1st verb or at the same time.
    (verb + to + verb): usually 'to..' is used for an action that follows the 1st verb.
    I hope this would make it clear to you.

Good Luck

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Dear teachers,

No.1
    I would hate to get up in the morning and feel there was no p[urpose in my life.
    No.2
    As a top businessman he can't even begin to understand real poverty.
    No.3
    He remembered to pass on most of the information but omitted to mention one or two of the most important facts.

My questions are:
    1. Can I replace the underlined parts in No.1 and No.2 with V-ing?
    2. I think 'to pass' in No.3 is not correct because the thing had already happened. And V-ing should be used.

Thank you in advance.

Jiang
    I agree with Tdol.

Let me add a few things.

1. If a person were speaking about depression in general, he would be more likely to use the infinitive. It gives a more hypothetical feel. However, if a person were commenting on someone else's actual condition, he could easily use the gerund there. It has more of a real feeling.

2. I would use the infinitve there. In this case, there is no understanding. Therefore, the action is purely hypothetical.

3. The verbs "remember" and "forget" can take either the infinitive orr the gerund, but the meaning is different.

I remembered to mail the letter. [I didn't forget to do it. As TDOL said, the remebering happened before the action.]
    I remembered mailing the letter. [The action was in my active memory. The memory was after the event.]

The difference is even more profound with "forget".

I forgot to mail the letter. [The letter was not mailed.]
    I forgot mailing the letter. [I mailed it, but I forgot doing it.]

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Hi,
    Thank you very much for your help. I understand what you are talking about.

Best wishes,

Jiang
    Quote Originally Posted by Fitness Lover View Post
    I would like to put some explanations about this, I am not sure if I am allowed to do so or not, since teachers are the ones who are allowed to answer the question and i am not a teacher, any way I will put what I have here and you can reject it if i am not allowed.

First of all (according to the Grammar book I have), there are some verbs come in the form (verb + verb + ing) and you can't use the form (verb + to + verb) with these verbs and vice versa. These verbs you have to memorize them well. The following are some of these verbs:

(verb + verb + ing): stop, delay, facny, consider, admit, miss, involve, finish, postpone, imagine, avoid, aeny, risk, practice
    (verb + to + verb): offer, decide, hope, deserve, attempt, promise, agree, plan, aim, afford, manage, threaten, refuse, arrange, learn, forget, fail

Some times when you don't use them often, you may face difficulty in remembering them, and you may ask yourself "what should I use?, should I put 'ing' or 'to...'?". Then, let me give the following rule:
    (verb + verb + ing): usually '-ing' is used for an action that happens before the 1st verb or at the same time.
    (verb + to + verb): usually 'to..' is used for an action that follows the 1st verb.
    I hope this would make it clear to you.

Good Luck

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

&
    Dear Mike,
    Thank you very much for your explanation. Now I know more about the use of the two.
    I am still trying to explain No.3 to see if I understand your explanation to it. Please kindly see if my explanation is correct:

I remembered to mail the letter. This lays stress on the fact that I didn't forget what I should do----to mail the letter. Whether I actually mailed the letter is not clear.
    I remembered mailing the letter. This lays stress on the fact that I can recall that I mailed the letter.

Thank you in advance.

Jiang

Quote Originally Posted by MikeNewYork View Post
    I agree with Tdol.

Let me add a few things.

1. If a person were speaking about depression in general, he would be more likely to use the infinitive. It gives a more hypothetical feel. However, if a person were commenting on someone else's actual condition, he could easily use the gerund there. It has more of a real feeling.

2. I would use the infinitve there. In this case, there is no understanding. Therefore, the action is purely hypothetical.

3. The verbs "remember" and "forget" can take either the infinitive orr the gerund, but the meaning is different.

I remembered to mail the letter. [I didn't forget to do it. As TDOL said, the remebering happened before the action.]
    I remembered mailing the letter. [The action was in my active memory. The memory was after the event.]

The difference is even more profound with "forget".

I forgot to mail the letter. [The letter was not mailed.]
    I forgot mailing the letter. [I mailed it, but I forgot doing it.]

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

&
    Dear Mike,
    Thank you very much for your explanation. Now I know more about the use of the two.
    I am still trying to explain No.3 to see if I understand your explanation to it. Please kindly see if my explanation is correct:

I remembered to mail the letter. This lays stress on the fact that I didn't forget what I should do----to mail the letter. Whether I actually mailed the letter is not clear.
    I remembered mailing the letter. This lays stress on the fact that I can recall that I mailed the letter.

Thank you in advance.

Jiang
    That's very close, but it is unlikely that someone would say only that he remembered to mail the letter if he didn't actually mail it.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Dear Mike,

Now I see the best way is to see which action takes place first.

Jiang
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeNewYork View Post
    That's very close, but it is unlikely that someone would say only that he remembered to mail the letter if he didn't actually mail it.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Dear Mike,

Now I see the best way is to see which action takes place first.

Jiang
    Yes, that's it!

remember/forget + infinitive = remembering/forgetting comes first
    remember/forget + gerund = gerund comes first

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast