Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Does it work to use three adjectives before a noun like this?

He was bleeding. He knew he would die in a dirty, dingy, damp apartment.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Yes, that works. I like the alliteration of "die/dirty/dingy/damp". You could make it even more alliterative by changing "apartment" to "dump".

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Perhaps:

He was bleeding badly. His life's blood was flowing out of him. He knew he was going to die in a dirty, dingy, damp dump.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
it's good you're enjoying writing! For some reason, I'd put damp at the front of the string.

Some general comments:

Alliteration works best in verse. A little bit can be great in prose, but it gets heavy-handed quickly. Verse usually uses luminous language to make words stand out. Prose usually uses transparent language to make words disappear.

The same goes for adjectives. Verse loves them for their own sake. Prose tolerates them if they serve a purpose.

By the way, when you look at Elmore Leonard and Raymond Carver, pay attention to how they do and don't use adjectives and alliteration.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
it's good you're enjoying writing! For some reason, I'd put damp at the front of the string.

Some general comments:

Alliteration works best in verse. A little bit can be great in prose, but it gets heavy-handed quickly. Verse usually uses luminous language to make words stand out. Prose usually uses transparent language to make words disappear.

The same goes for adjectives. Verse loves them for their own sake. Prose tolerates them if they serve a purpose.

Plus using alliteration in prose can have a comical effect. (Especially if you overdo it.)

I need to remember that line "Verse uses luminous language to make words stand out. Prose usually uses transparent language to make words disappear." (I'm not sure what it means, but I like it. :) )

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Plus using alliteration in prose can have a comical effect. (Especially if you overdo it.)

I need to remember that line "Verse uses luminous language to make words stand out. Prose usually uses transparent language to make words disappear." (I'm not sure what it means, but I like it. :) )
When you figure it out, you can explain it to the rest of us.

Status
Not open for further replies.