Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hi there. Would you please proofread the following text? Any help would be appreciated.

************************************************************************************************

Gan said, “As for what all this means, it means Rui and Meili succeeded beyond anything I imagined, and it gladdens my heart.” Gan got up and sat beside his daughter, putting his arm around her he kissed her forehead. “Thank you.”

Jingying took over the storytelling, something that now seemed a little more mundane than that of Lanhua’s dream. Her stories took them late into the night before she stopped. “Yang, it’s late, you had better take Qingmei home before her parents think we’ve abducted her.”

They all stood and said their goodbyes, Lanhua whispered something into Yang’s ear, Yang turned red but smiled and taking Qingmei’s hand walked her towards the door. Qingmei turned and said,” Thank you. Thank you all so much for making me feel welcome, and the amazing stories.”

Walking her home, Yang said, “Sorry, I hope my sister didn’t freak you out too much. Her dreams are not usually that weird. Once you get to know her you’ll see, she’s just like anyone else.”

Qingmei squeezed his hand. “I think your sister is the bravest girl I’ve ever met, having those dreams would scare me to the bone.”

Yang said, “Me too.She’s had them since she was not much taller than my knee, maybe longer.”

Qingmei said, “Are you going to tell me what she whispered to you or, is it a brother-sister secret?”

Yang said, “She told me her first dream of you was about tonight, our walk over to my house and our kiss.”

Last edited by a moderator:

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hi there. Would you please proofread the following text? Any help would be appreciated.

************************************************************************************************

Gan said, “As for what all this means, it means Rui and Meili succeeded beyond anything I imagined, and it gladdens my heart.” Gan got up and sat beside his daughter. Putting his arm around her, he kissed her forehead. “Thank you.”

Jingying took over the storytelling, something that [STRIKE]now[/STRIKE] seemed a little more mundane after hearing Lanhua’s dream. Her stories took them late into the night before she stopped. “Yang, it’s late. You had better take Qingmei home before her parents think we’ve abducted her.”

They all stood and said their goodbyes. Lanhua whispered something into Yang’s ear. Yang turned red but smiled and, taking Qingmei’s hand, walked her towards the door. Qingmei turned and said,” Thank you. Thank you all so much for making me feel welcome, and for the amazing stories.”

Walking her home, Yang said, “Sorry. I hope my sister didn’t freak you out too much. Her dreams are not usually that weird. Once you get to know her you’ll see, she’s just like anyone else.”

Qingmei squeezed his hand. “I think your sister is the bravest girl I’ve ever met. Having those dreams would scare me to the bone.”

Yang said, “Me, too. [space] She’s had them since she was not much taller than my knee, maybe longer.”

Qingmei said, “Are you going to tell me what she whispered to you, or is it a brother-sister secret?”

Yang said, “She told me her first dream of you was about tonight, our walk over to my house and our kiss.”
Mind the run-ons!

rodgers white

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Thank you for reminding me again. By the way, you mentioned Elmore Leonard and thought highly of him as the king of American dialogue. I watched the film 'Get shorty'. It's good. Maybe I will read the novel as well. Thank you.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
She's had them since she was not much taller than my knee.

Well, knees don't have height. Perhaps:

She's had them since she was three years old.

Using "She didn't even come up to my knee" or something like that doesn't tell us how long she's been having the dreams. Perhaps:

She's been having them for a long time. She wasn't even three years old when they started.

Or something like that.

rodgers white

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Thank you, Tarheel. You are right. What about the amended vision now?

Gan said, “As for what all this means, it means Rui and Meili succeeded beyond anything I imagined, and it gladdens my heart.” Gan got up and sat beside his daughter. Putting his arm around her, he kissed her forehead. “Thank you.”

Jingying took over the storytelling, something that now seemed a little more mundane after hearing Lanhua’s dream. Her stories took them late into the night before she stopped. “Yang, it’s late. You had better take Qingmei home before her parents think we’ve abducted her.”

They all stood and said their goodbyes. Lanhua whispered something into Yang’s ear. Yang turned red but smiled and, taking Qingmei’s hand, walked her towards the door. Qingmei turned and said,” Thank you. Thank you all so much for making me feel welcome, and for the amazing stories.”

Walking her home, Yang said, “Sorry. I hope my sister didn’t freak you out too much. Her dreams are not usually that weird. Once you get to know her you’ll see, she’s just like anyone else.”

Qingmei squeezed his hand. “I think your sister is the bravest girl I’ve ever met. Having those dreams would scare me to the bone.”

Yang said, “Me, too. She’s had them since she was three years old, maybe longer.”

Qingmei said, “Are you going to tell me what she whispered to you, or is it a brother-sister secret?”

Is there any room to improve, or do you have any other suggestions?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Status
Not open for further replies.