understanding the term "remains unknown" in this context . .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Abdul-Illah

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Qatar
Current Location
Qatar

Hi, I and my colleague (second language speakers) got in an argument in understanding the sentences "The aim of this study" and "remains unknown" in the context of the below
scientific report,
The questions are:
1- Does the sentence “remains unknown” in an Abstract/Objectives section indicate that the “unknown” to be continued till the end of this study?!;
2- at what it's referring to (remains unknown)?
3- does "The aim of this study" to reveal this “unknown” matter?

JKkJPYz.jpg

JKkJPYz.jpg

d0xxw9R

https://pasteboard.co/JKkJPYz.jpg

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7361712/

Appreciating your help

Last edited:

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

Hi. [STRIKE]I and[/STRIKE] My colleague and I (second language speakers) got in an argument in understanding the phrases "The aim of this study" and "remains unknown" in the context of the below scientific report.

The questions are:

1- Does the phrase “remains unknown” in an Abstract/Objectives section indicate that the “unknown” is to be continued till the end of this study?[STRIKE]!;[/STRIKE]

Remains unknown means:

- is not known.

- has not been answered yet.

- is unsolved so far.

- is a mystery.

- is still an open question.

2- What is "remains unknown" referring to[STRIKE] (remains unknown)[/STRIKE]?

It refers to the evolution of the impairment. Its evolution remains unknown . No one knows how the impairment evolved.

3- Is "The aim of this study" to reveal this “unknown” matter?

Yes.

I appreciate your help.
Welcome, Abdul!

You'll find a lot of friendly advisors here.

A sentence always begins with a capital letter, ends with a period, question mark, or exclamation point, and includes a subject and verb.

A phrase does not.

Abdul-Illah

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Qatar
Current Location
Qatar
Thank you Charlie for the valuable input and corrections :)

Regarding points number 2 & 3:
Can we consider the “unknown” is referring to the spontaneous evolution and the strong association of olfactory/gustatory impairment with Covid-19. (Biologically),

and the "The aim of this study" is about the evaluation of this impairment within Covid-19 patients (field study and survey) which is the study is all about?

What do you think?

If the phrase “remains unknown” means to be continued unknown, do we understand from it that the study has not made it known?

Thank you

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I think you need to reread post #2. You clearly do not understand that your questions have already been answered. Please pay attention to Charlie's advice.

Abdul-Illah

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Qatar
Current Location
Qatar
My point is that the phrase "remains unknown" could be referred to either -as per my understanding- :

- To the spontaneous evolution and the strong association of olfactory/gustatory impairment with Covid-19. (Biologically), or,

- To the evaluation of this impairment within Covid-19 patients (field study and survey)

Thank you

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
A high frequency and a strong association of olfactory/gustatory impairment with COVID-19 were reported. Its spontaneous evolution remains unknown. The aim of this study was to investigate the spontaneous evolution of olfactory disorders in COVID-19 patients.
My point is that the phrase "remains unknown" could [STRIKE]be[/STRIKE] refer[STRIKE]red[/STRIKE] to either -[STRIKE]as per my understanding-:[/STRIKE]

- [STRIKE]To[/STRIKE] the spontaneous evolution and the strong association of olfactory/gustatory impairment with Covid-19. (Biologically), or (no comma)

- [STRIKE]To[/STRIKE] the evaluation of this impairment within Covid-19 patients (field study and survey)
Both wrong, I'm afraid. Logic, proximity, and the singular noun phrase tell me it's "olfactory/gustatory impairment with COVID-19".

Note my corrections above. In particular, be very careful with lists. Make sure that each item can be individually attached to the sentence that introduces the list.

Please don't close posts with "Thank you". We appreciate the gratitude, but removing the words that express it takes extra time when we quote them. You can add a suitable sentiment to your signature line when you've made ten posts.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.