Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Dear teachers,

I have a question about this sentence (from Cartwheeling in Thunderstorm by Katherine Rundell):

"Oh, for Christ's sake, Roslyn! It wasn't personal. I was just saying - hold the front page and send out a news bulletin! - school is a lonely place to be."

What does the underline part mean?

thanks a lot

Last edited by a moderator:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
[STRIKE]Dear teachers,[/STRIKE] Unnecessary. Just go straight in with your question.

I have a question about this sentence (from Cartwheeling in Thunderstorm by Katherine Rundell):

"Oh, for Christ's sake, Roslyn! It wasn't personal. I was just saying - hold the front page and send out a news bulletin! School is a lonely place to be."

What does the underlined part mean?

[STRIKE]Thanks a lot.[/STRIKE] Unnecessary. Thanks us after we help you, by clicking on the "Thank" button.

Please note my corrections above.

The term is used in the newspaper industry. "Hold the front page" means "I have a great story. Don't put anything else on the front page of the paper because my story needs to go there". "Send out a news bulletin" is fairly self-explanatory, especically if you have already looked up "news bulletin".

In this context, it is used very sarcastically. The speaker is effectively saying "School is a lonely place. This is not news. This is nothing surprising." The underlined part would be said in a very sarcastic tone!

Status
Not open for further replies.