• Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

hold the front page and send out a news bulletin

Dear teachers,

I have a question about this sentence (from Cartwheeling in Thunderstorm by Katherine Rundell):

"Oh, for Christ's sake, Roslyn! It wasn't personal. I was just saying - hold the front page and send out a news bulletin! - school is a lonely place to be."

What does the underline part mean?

thanks a lot
    Last edited by emsr2d2; 20-Jan-2021 at 14:10. Reason: Put post in default font and size

emsr2d2 is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: hold the front page and send out a news bulletin

Quote Originally Posted by harriet_yang View Post
    Dear teachers, Unnecessary. Just go straight in with your question.

I have a question about this sentence (from Cartwheeling in Thunderstorm by Katherine Rundell):

"Oh, for Christ's sake, Roslyn! It wasn't personal. I was just saying - hold the front page and send out a news bulletin! School is a lonely place to be."

What does the underlined part mean?

Thanks a lot. Unnecessary. Thanks us after we help you, by clicking on the "Thank" button.
    Please note my corrections above.

The term is used in the newspaper industry. "Hold the front page" means "I have a great story. Don't put anything else on the front page of the paper because my story needs to go there". "Send out a news bulletin" is fairly self-explanatory, especically if you have already looked up "news bulletin".

In this context, it is used very sarcastically. The speaker is effectively saying "School is a lonely place. This is not news. This is nothing surprising." The underlined part would be said in a very sarcastic tone!
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.