[Essay] ...overwhelmed with happiness...

Status
Not open for further replies.

rodgers white

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hi there. Would you please proofread the following text? Any help would be appreciated.

********************************************************************************************

Lanhua went to bed, and her parents cleaned up the dinner dishes etc. Just before climbing into bed, Gan wrote a short message on the last page of his journal. “Dear brother, Rui, I am overwhelmed with happiness that you and Meili (Or should I say YiYang and Debra) find your freedom beyond the computer, and even the machines my father built for you. You and my niece are beautiful, give her my love. I am also glad that you found such good friends, Kai, David, Jingying and Professor, from beyond the city. Oh, surprise, surprise, my daughter dreams the future. Your loving Brother, Gan.”

Jingying giggled and said,“That will freak him out a bit when he first reads it, but I can imagine how glad it will make him feel.”

Jingying went to have her shower, and Gan reminisced for a few moments, then, he glued two small envelopes onto the last page, glued it to the second-last page, and closed the book.

About a hundred metres from Qingmei’s home, Qingmei said, “Do you think your sister is asleep, dreaming of us?”

Yang smirked mischievously, “I don’t know, I’m not going to let it worry me. Besides, she will keep our secrets.”

Qingmei stopped, closed her eyes, and angled her face upward. Yang stared at her upturned face for a few moments, thinking how beautiful it was under the moonlight, and then he kissed her.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Say:

Just before going to bed ....

(I don't have time for more now. It's my bedtime too.)

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
We have breakfast, but we take a bath or take a shower. (Don't ask me why. I didn't invent this crazy language. :) )

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Try:

You and my niece are beautiful together. Give her my love.

And:

I am glad you made such good friends, Kai, David, Jingying, and Professor from beyond the city.
:-?

And:

Oh, surprise, surprise! My daughter dreams the future.

And:

I don't know. I'm not going to let it worry me.

Comma splices!

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hi there. Would you please proofread the following text? Any help would be appreciated.

********************************************************************************************

Lanhua went to bed, and her parents cleaned up the dinner dishes [STRIKE]etc[/STRIKE].

We use etc. in business letters. We usually don't elsewhere.

Just before climbing into bed, Gan wrote a short message on the last page of his notebook. “Dear brother[STRIKE],[/STRIKE] Rui, I am overwhelmed with happiness that you and Meili (or should I say YiYang and Debra?) find your freedom beyond the computer[STRIKE],[/STRIKE] and even the machines my father built for you. You and my niece are beautiful. Give her my love. I am also glad that you found such good friends, Kai, David, Jingying and Professor, from beyond the city. Oh, surprise, surprise, my daughter dreams the future. Your loving Brother, Gan.”

We write journals and diaries to ourselves. We write letters to other people. You probably mean Gan is writing in a pad or a notebook.

Jingying giggled and said,“That will freak him out a bit when he first reads it, but I can imagine how glad it will make him feel.”

Jingying went to take a shower, and Gan reminisced for a few moments. Then he glued two small envelopes onto the last page, glued it to the second-to-last page, and closed the book.

About a hundred metres from Qingmei’s home, Qingmei said, “Do you think your sister is asleep, dreaming of us?”

Yang smirked mischievously and said, “I don’t know. I’m not going to let it worry me. Besides, she will keep our secrets.”

We don't smirk words, we sy them.

Athough you avoid them, you could use a period instead: Yang smirked mischievously. "I don't know. . . ."

Qingmei stopped, closed her eyes, and angled her face upward. Yang stared at her upturned face for a few moments, thinking how beautiful it was under the moonlight, and then he kissed her.
Do you just have trouble recognizing run-on sentences? Keep in mind that ninety percent of English is Subject-verb-object. Subject-verb-object. Subject-verb-object. . . .

rodgers white

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Do you just have trouble recognizing run-on sentences? Keep in mind that ninety percent of English is Subject-verb-object. Subject-verb-object. Subject-verb-object. . . .

Thank you for your time, Charlie. Sorry for my run-on sentences. You are right. I have trouble recognizing them. I will try my best to get rid of this bad habit. What about the amended version now?

*******************************************************************************************************

Just before climbing into bed, Gan wrote a short message on the last page of his journal. “Dear brother Rui, I am overwhelmed with happiness that you and Meili (or should I say YiYang and Debra?) find your freedom beyond the computer and even the machines my father built for you. You and my niece are beautiful. Give her my love. I am also glad that you found such good friends, Kai, David, Jingying and Professor, from beyond the city. Oh, surprise, surprise! My daughter dreams the future. Your loving Brother, Gan.”

Jingying went to take a shower, and Gan reminisced for a few moments. Then he glued two small envelopes onto the last page, glued it to the second-to-last page, and closed the book.

Yang smirked mischievously and said, “I don’t know. I’m not going to let it worry me. Besides, she will keep our secrets.”

By the way, Gan was writing a journal. The message he added at the end of journal was something would probably happen to Rui because his daughter could dream the future. Gan just wanted Rui to know this if Rui was lucky enough to find the journal in the cave.

Last edited:

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Thank you for your time, Charlie. Sorry for my run-on sentences. You are right. I have trouble recognizing them. I will try my best to get rid of this bad habit. What about the amended version now?

*******************************************************************************************************

Just before climbing into bed, Gan wrote a short message on the last page of his journal. “Dear brother Rui, I am overwhelmed with happiness that you and Meili (or should I say YiYang and Debra?) find your freedom beyond the computer and even the machines my father built for you. You and my niece are beautiful. Give her my love. I am also glad that you found such good friends, Kai, David, Jingying and Professor, from beyond the city. Oh, surprise, surprise! My daughter dreams the future. Your loving Brother, Gan.”

By the way, Gan was writing a journal. The message he added at the end of journal was something would probably happen to Rui because his daughter could dream the future. Gan just wanted Rui to know this if Rui was lucky enough to find the journal in the cave.
Okay, now I understand the journal. As always, context is everything!

It's fine.

rodgers white

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Try:

You and my niece are beautiful together. Give her my love.

And:

I am glad you made such good friends, Kai, David, Jingying, and Professor from beyond the city.

Thank you for 'are beautiful together '. I never thought of being beautiful together for two androids.:-D

By the way, Kai, David, Jingying, and Professor are all from beyond the city. So that's the reason why I use a comma after Professor. It isn't just Professor from beyond the city.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
We have breakfast, but we take a bath or take a shower. (Don't ask me why. I didn't invent this crazy language. :) )

In BrE, we have all of those.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I didn't know there were two androids in the story. (In Star Trek TNG, Data, an android, is one of the crew members of the Enterprise. (He never uses contractions. He wasn't programmed to do so.))

Status
Not open for further replies.