[General] We are very sorry to (33 words)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hi.

Because of the government policies and rules about containing the pandemic, social gatherings over 10 people are not allowed here. I wrote something for the participants:

We are very sorry to inform you that our regular meetings will be in recess from Jan 21[SUP]st[/SUP] due to the epidemic prevention requirements. We will be right back when the situation allows.

I think this was poorly written. Our English club meets every week and now because of the policy of the government, we have to postpone the English club gatherings from Jan 21[SUP]st[/SUP]. But when the ban is lifted, we will soon meet again.

Are my italic sentences natural?

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Hi.
Because of the government policies and rules about containing the pandemic, social gatherings of over 10 people are not allowed here. I wrote [STRIKE]something[/STRIKE] this notice for the members of my English club. [STRIKE]participants:[/STRIKE]

[STRIKE]We are[/STRIKE] I am very sorry to inform you that our regular meetings will be [STRIKE]in recess[/STRIKE] suspended from Jan 21[SUP]st[/SUP] due to the government epidemic prevention requirements. We will be right back when the situation allows.

I think this was poorly written. Our English club meets every week and now because of the [STRIKE]policy of the[/STRIKE] new government policy, we have to postpone the English club gatherings from Jan 21[SUP]st[/SUP]. But when the ban is lifted, we [STRIKE]will soon[/STRIKE] can meet again.

Are my italic sentences natural?
See above.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I wouldn't say from January 21. I'd just just say they're suspended until further notice.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
I wouldn't say from January 21. I'd just just say they're suspended until further notice.
Yes, but that only works if that sentence was said on January 21. What if the suspension is to start on a date later than the date of that notice?

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Yes, but that only works if that sentence was said on January 21. What if the suspension is to start on a date later than the date of that notice?
I guess I was just assuming that:

- the goverment order was fairly immediate.

- if they were closing because of a pandemic, they'd want to close right away. (Why infect each other through January 20, then stop January 21?)

- the next scheduled meeting was January 21.​

But when I assume, I . . . oh, never mind!

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
- if they were closing because of a pandemic, they'd want to close right away. (Why infect each other through January 20, then stop January 21?)

Slightly off-topic

Hahaha! Try telling that to the British government (and several others) who have, over the last year, given between two days' and two weeks' notice of changes to regulations, giving people plenty of time to have "one last get-together" and infect each other willy-nilly.

Status
Not open for further replies.