• Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

We are very sorry to (33 words)

Hi.

Because of the government policies and rules about containing the pandemic, social gatherings over 10 people are not allowed here. I wrote something for the participants:

We are very sorry to inform you that our regular meetings will be in recess from Jan 21st due to the epidemic prevention requirements. We will be right back when the situation allows.

I think this was poorly written. Our English club meets every week and now because of the policy of the government, we have to postpone the English club gatherings from Jan 21st. But when the ban is lifted, we will soon meet again.

Are my italic sentences natural?

teechar is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Iraq
      • Current Location:
      • Iraq

Re: We are very sorry to (33 words)

Quote Originally Posted by Silverobama View Post
    Hi.
    Because of the government policies and rules about containing the pandemic, social gatherings of over 10 people are not allowed here. I wrote something this notice for the members of my English club. participants:

We are I am very sorry to inform you that our regular meetings will be in recess suspended from Jan 21st due to the government epidemic prevention requirements. We will be right back when the situation allows.

I think this was poorly written. Our English club meets every week and now because of the policy of the new government policy, we have to postpone the English club gatherings from Jan 21st. But when the ban is lifted, we will soon can meet again.

Are my italic sentences natural?
    See above.

Charlie Bernstein is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

I wouldn't say from January 21. I'd just just say they're suspended until further notice.
    I'm not a teacher. I speak American English. I've tutored writing at the University of Southern Maine and have done a good deal of copy editing and writing, occasionally for publication.

teechar is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Iraq
      • Current Location:
      • Iraq

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Bernstein View Post
    I wouldn't say from January 21. I'd just just say they're suspended until further notice.
    Yes, but that only works if that sentence was said on January 21. What if the suspension is to start on a date later than the date of that notice?

Charlie Bernstein is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by teechar View Post
    Yes, but that only works if that sentence was said on January 21. What if the suspension is to start on a date later than the date of that notice?
    I guess I was just assuming that:

- the goverment order was fairly immediate.

- if they were closing because of a pandemic, they'd want to close right away. (Why infect each other through January 20, then stop January 21?)

- the next scheduled meeting was January 21.

But when I assume, I . . . oh, never mind!
    I'm not a teacher. I speak American English. I've tutored writing at the University of Southern Maine and have done a good deal of copy editing and writing, occasionally for publication.

emsr2d2 is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Bernstein View Post
    - if they were closing because of a pandemic, they'd want to close right away. (Why infect each other through January 20, then stop January 21?)
    Slightly off-topic

Hahaha! Try telling that to the British government (and several others) who have, over the last year, given between two days' and two weeks' notice of changes to regulations, giving people plenty of time to have "one last get-together" and infect each other willy-nilly.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.