[General] I want to establish an English club here (50 words)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I'm an organizer of a local English club which is held in one of the Starbucks. A group of people sits there together and speak English. Now there's a mall in my neighborhood, I want to start another English club in the Starbucks in the new mall. Tonight, I went there and talked to people in English there. A woman was interested because she heard that I use English to talk to people. She was curious and asked me what I was doing there. I said the following after greeting her.

I want to establish an English club in this coffee shop so I'm looking for people who are interested in speaking English. Also, I practice speaking English in public, when many people looking at me, to raise my confidence because I feel nervous when speaking in front of many people.

I think the sentence after "Also" is very redundant but it totally expresses my thought here. Please help me with the italic sentences.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I'm an organizer of a local English club which is held [STRIKE]in one of the[/STRIKE] at a [branch of] Starbucks. A group of people sits there together and speaks English. Now there's a mall in my neighborhood, I want to start another English club [STRIKE]in[/STRIKE] at the Starbucks in the new mall. Tonight, I went there and talked to some people in English. [STRIKE]there.[/STRIKE] A woman [STRIKE]was[/STRIKE] became interested [STRIKE]because[/STRIKE] when she heard [STRIKE]that I use English to talk[/STRIKE] me speaking English to people. She was curious and asked me what I was doing there. I said the following after greeting her.

I want to establish an English club in this coffee shop so I'm looking for people who are interested in speaking English. Also, I practice speaking English [STRIKE][STRIKE]in public,[/STRIKE][/STRIKE] when many people are looking at me, to raise my confidence because I usually feel nervous when speaking in [STRIKE]front of many people[/STRIKE] public.

I think the sentence after "Also" is [STRIKE]very[/STRIKE] redundant but it totally expresses my thoughts. [STRIKE]here[/STRIKE] Please help me with the italic sentences.

Please note my corrections above. The italic section can certainly be shortened. Here's how I would expect the dialogue to go:

Lady: Hello. What are you doing here?
You: Hi! I'm hoping to start an English club here. Are you interested?
Lady: I might be. It was interesting to hear you speak English.
You: Well, I'm normally a bit nervous speaking English in public so I make myself do it whenever I can, just to make me more confident.

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Please note my corrections above. The italic section can certainly be shortened. Here's how I would expect the dialogue to go:

Lady: Hello. What are you doing here?
You: Hi! I'm hoping to start an English club here. Are you interested?
Lady: I might be. It was interesting to hear you speak English.
You: Well, I'm normally a bit nervous speaking English in public so I make myself do it whenever I can, just to make me more confident.

You've got that right, emsr2d2. Yes, those were what I was trying to express. Much appreciated!

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Also, I practice speaking English in public, [STRIKE]when many people looking at me,[/STRIKE] whenever I can, to raise my confidence because I feel nervous when speaking in front of many people.
I think the sentence after "Also" is [STRIKE]very[/STRIKE] redundant, but it totally expresses my thought here.
Instead of "many people", use something like "a (large) crowd".

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Those are all good suggestions. I don't think what you said was redundant. You weren't repeating yourself, you were elaborating, giving more information.

Status
Not open for further replies.