Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
The phrase "[FONT=&#24494]China locked down Wuhan" is understandable, but does it sound natural to you native English speakers?

[/FONT]
It is equivalent to say "The U.S. locked down Los Angeles", and I doubt that native speakers would have said this way. More likely they would say "The Federal government locked down Los Angeles" or "Chinese government locked down Wuhan". Here's the catch, they are bit tidious compared to "The US" or "China". But "Washington locked down LA" or "Beijing locked down Wuhan" seems not very natural to me. I am not sure.

Is the phrase natural in English?

===============
[FONT=&#24494]Chen, a 54-year-old researcher at the Institute of Military Medicine under the Academy of Military Sciences, has made major achievements in COVID-19-related basic research and development of vaccine and protective medicine.[/FONT][FONT=&#24494]On Jan. 23, China locked down Wuhan, the capital city of Hubei Province, to curb the spread of the infectious disease. Three days later, Chen arrived in Wuhan to focus on vaccine development.

Source: China media https://english.dbw.cn/system/2020/09/09/001383811.shtml[/FONT]

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
The phrase "China locked down Wuhan" is understandable, but does it sound natural to you native English speakers?

Yes, it's grammatical, and in this context, it's natural.

It is equivalent to saying "The U.S. locked down Los Angeles", and I doubt that native speakers would have said it this way. More likely, they would say "The Federal government locked down Los Angeles" or "The Chinese government locked down Wuhan". Here's the catch: they are bit tidious compared to "The US" or "China".
I have no idea who the underlined "they" refers to, and note that "tidious" is not a word, but I like the sound of it. ;-)

But "Washington locked down LA" or "Beijing locked down Wuhan" seems not very natural to me. I am not sure.
Is the phrase natural in English?
See above.

GoodTaste

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
tidious -->>> tedious

"They" ==>>>"The Federal government locked down Los Angeles" and "The Chinese government locked down Wuhan"

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I don't know what you mean by 'tedious' in that context.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
GoodTaste, the quotation was written by a native speaker or someone with a native-like command of English. There's nothing wrong with it.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
It's very common and natural in English to use the name of a country to stand in for the administrative body of the sovereign state. In this case, China is the Chinese government.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It's very common and natural in English to use the name of a country to stand in for the administrative body of the sovereign state. In this case, China is the Chinese government.

In the Navajo language, the word for the US federal government is wááshindoon ("Washington").

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
tidious -->>> tedious

"They" ==>>>"The federal government locked down Los Angeles" and "The Chinese government locked down Wuhan"

The equivalents would be the US government and the Chinese government.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
In the Navajo language, the word for the US federal government is wááshindoon ("Washington").

And in English, too. We also use the White House in the same way.

These are good examples of synechdoche.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
And in English, too. We also use the White House in the same way.

These are good examples of synechdoche.
It's not quite the same in Navajo, at least according to the English-Navajo dictionary I have. My dictionary lists it as the only word for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.