Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Are these good?

1. The crumbling building is a monument to the country's abject failures to advance into the twenty-first century.

2. This prison is a monument to a nation's oppression.

3. The slum is a monument to their plight and misery.

4. They created a ghastly building to show off their ill-gotten gains. It's a monument to their corruption and greed.

5. The abandoned project is a monument to the city's broken dreams. A city that was supposed to hold great promise, is now desolate.

Last edited:

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Re: this thing/place is a monument to

Are these good?

1. The crumbling building is a [STRIKE]monument to [/STRIKE] reflection of the country's abject failures to advance into the twenty-first century.

2. This prison is a [STRIKE]monument to[/STRIKE] symbol of a nation's oppression.
I thought prisons are necessary regardless of the regime.

3. The slum is a [STRIKE]monument to[/STRIKE] reflection/manifestation of their plight and misery.

4. They created a ghastly building to show off their ill-gotten gains. It's a [STRIKE]monument to[/STRIKE] manifestation/portrayal of their corruption and greed.

5. The abandoned project is a [STRIKE]monument to[/STRIKE] manifestation of the city's broken dreams. A city that was supposed to hold great promise, is now desolate.

A monument is a symbol or expression of positive attributes rather than things which are negative.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

You used "thing/place" in your title but none of your suggested sentences use either word. Please remember that title should include/some all of the words/phrases that actually appear in your text and that you are asking us about.

alpacinou

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran

You used "thing/place" in your title but none of your suggested sentences use either word. Please remember that title should include/some all of the words/phrases that actually appear in your text and that you are asking us about.

Okay. But do the sentences work?

alpacinou

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran

I fixed the title.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Are these good?

I don't think that's the question you should be asking. "Good" is a very subjective concept. I might think they're good, a second person might think they're terrible and a third might think they're fantastic.

You should ask us if they are grammatically correct.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I would use something like testament to their corruption, rather than manifestation.

alpacinou

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
I would use something like testament to their corruption, rather than manifestation.

I don't want to use manifestation. I want to use monument.

Are these correct?

1. The crumbling building is a monument to the country's abject failures to advance into the twenty-first century.

2. This prison is a monument to a nation's oppression.

3. The slum is a monument to their plight and misery.

4. They created a ghastly building to show off their ill-gotten gains. It's a monument to their corruption and greed.

5. The abandoned project is a monument to the city's broken dreams. A city that was supposed to hold great promise, is now desolate.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
They are grammatically correct, but I think you can find a better word than monument for each one.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
If you really want to use monument, use it. I would consider looking at things like testament/symbol/memorial, but go ahead.

Status
Not open for further replies.