Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Is this correct?

I work for a charity organization. Every year a charity exhibition is held in my city and I work in a stand there and sell products, the proceeds of which go to families without breadwinners or disabled parents. Also, I'm a part of team which devises strategies for raising money for a charity organization which looks after and rehabilitates disabled individuals.

I know that breadwinner part sounds odd, but I don't know how to express it in English. Families that don't have a working breadwinner or the families in which the breadwinner has gotten ill and cannot work.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq

I work for a charity organization. Every year, a charity [STRIKE]exhibition[/STRIKE] fair is held in my city, and [STRIKE]I work in[/STRIKE] we have a stand [STRIKE]there and[/STRIKE] where I sell various products, the proceeds [STRIKE]of[/STRIKE] from which go to families without breadwinners or who have disabled parents. Also, I'm a [STRIKE]part[/STRIKE] member of a team which devises strategies for raising money for a charity organization which looks after and rehabilitates disabled individuals.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
"Charity organisation" isn't very natural in BrE. I'd use just "charity". You could use "charitable organisation".

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"Charity organisation" isn't very natural in BrE. I'd use just "charity". You could use "charitable organisation".
That's what I was going to say. It's the same here in the US.

We also say nonprofit. But we only say NGO if we're talking about nonprofits working outside the US — like Oxfam, for example.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Oxfam, which is British, is normally called a charity in the UK, but its work overseas is often called NGO.

Status
Not open for further replies.