[Grammar] take to Ving, (gerund or present participle?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I really don't mean to aim anything at anyone. I hope people understand that I know little about grammar, but I do find this matter interesting and I'm trying to think and talk it through, with the hope of learning something from you all.

Phaedrus

Banned
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Thanks, Jutfrank. Regarding your example:

His deliberately not making sense is frustrating.
I find the not interesting, in that it seems to render the corresponding gerund ungrammatical:

*[strike]His deliberate not making of sense is frustrating[/strike].

However, when the negation is made part of the gerund by means of the prefix non-, the result strikes me as tolerable, if inelegant:

His deliberate non-making of sense is frustrating.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I find the not interesting, in that it seems to render the corresponding gerund ungrammatical

Yes, that is exactly what I thought too. That's really why I added it (my original example didn't include it)—because I found it puzzling.

In syntax, is the not in my original considered as modifying the VP making sense? Can we say that gerunds cannot include adverbial modifiers, or something along those lines?

Phaedrus

Banned
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Fine. I'll leave the thread. I am interested in grammar, not in discussion of my motives for liking a post,

Goodbye. FYI, Piscean, since you showed no appreciation for my having gratified your curiosity as to my source, I have deleted the entire post.

If you request that information again here, I shall no longer honor your request.

"Give not that which is holy unto the dogs, neither cast ye your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet, and turn again and rend you."

- Matthew 7:6, KJV

Last edited:

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The forum is for discussing English, not one another's motivations. Thread closed.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
This thread seems to have gone unnecessarily hostile to me. Can't we disagree without all this?

Status
Not open for further replies.