[Grammar] Present perfect or simple present?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bruxinha

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Portugal
Current Location
Germany
Hello,
I'm in doubt about the right tense to use on the first example.... my feeling tells me it's present perfect (there is no time hint), but how do you explain that simple present isn't the best option? In the second example there is a clear time statement, so I would use the simple past...
Examples:
a) The budgie ____________________ (to disappear).
b) The budgie ____________________ (to disappear) two days ago.

Thanks a lot in advance for your help!

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Past simple, present perfect, past perfect, various continuous tenses, future, modals, and even the present simple are possible in A depending on the context. Only the past simple works in B.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
There's no way to tell which tense to use in a) because there's no context.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
If this is a question from an exercise you found somewhere, there must be some instructions telling you what to do.

bruxinha

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Portugal
Current Location
Germany
There's no way to tell which tense to use in a) because there's no context.

Sorry, I should have mentioned it... those sentences are the beginning of a text:

The budgie ____________________ (to disappear). He ____________________ (to disappear) two days ago on the way to the home of his owner...... (and so on. The text then explains how the bird disappeared an the last sentence is: No one __________________________ (to see) the budgie since Friday.)

I hope this helps to contextualize it better!

bruxinha

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Portugal
Current Location
Germany
If this is a question from an exercise you found somewhere, there must be some instructions telling you what to do.

Yes, it is an exercise, you have to fill in the missing tense forms.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Sorry, I should have mentioned it... those sentences are the beginning of a text

Yes, it is an exercise, you have to fill in the missing tense forms.

Please remember to provide this crucial information in post #1 next time.

Unfortunately, there's still not enough context to find whichever answer the test writer is looking for. My feeling is that the tense wanted is very probably present perfect. It isn't a good exercise.

Please tell us where you took this exercise from.

bruxinha

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Portugal
Current Location
Germany
Please tell us where you took this exercise from.

Well, I have it from a teacher... it was in the folder of shared materials that we sometimes use when substituting another teacher (filed under grammar revisions), unfortunately without solutions and without author (so I cannot ask)...
I would also use present perfect, but I wanted to be sure, since I'm not a native speaker and the pupils will ask for sure why they can't use the simple past on that one. Well, I guess they are not supposed to use the same tense with the same verb twice - and the second sentence must be simple past due to "two days ago"...

Thanks a lot for your help!

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
They absolutely can use the simple past as the first answer, but with a different effect. That's the issue you're facing.

It's probably best to ditch this particular exercise and replace it with another one.

Are you a teacher yourself, bruxinha?

bruxinha

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Portugal
Current Location
Germany
They absolutely can use the simple past as the first answer, but with a different effect. That's the issue you're facing.

It's probably best to ditch this particular exercise and replace it with another one.

Are you a teacher yourself, bruxinha?

Hi jutfrank,
sorry for the delayed answer, I didn't see you question yesterday evening... (I guess I logged out before)

Yes, I am a teacher. Why?

Well, I did cut out this sentence... no need to repeat a verb, since the second sentence already informs that "the budgie disappeared two days ago", right?

Thanks again for your help! :)

(By the way, nice picture! ;-))

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Knowing that helps us to answer your questions better. Please amend your profile information from Academic to English Teacher.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hi, jutfrank.

Sorry for the delayed answer. I didn't see your question yesterday evening. (I guess I logged out before you posted it.)

Well, I did cut out this sentence... no need to repeat a verb, since the second sentence already [STRIKE]informs[/STRIKE] tells us that "the budgie disappeared two days ago", right?

Please note my corrections above.
I don't understand the blue underlined section at all.

bruxinha

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Portugal
Current Location
Germany
Please note my corrections above.
I don't understand the blue underlined section at all.

About the blue underlined section: I meant that I "cut out this sentence" from the original exercise (check post #5), because it was supposed to be completed with the same verb as the second sentence, even though in a different tense.

Status
Not open for further replies.