Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Is this correct?

On the subway Anna stared at the window, flashing between light and darkness and the metro went in and out of tunnels. She then looked at the drowsy faces of the commuters before her consciousness drifted off. She was suddenly in her childhood house yard, talking to the skeletal face of her dead mother.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Is this correct?

On the subway, Anna stared out the window, flashing between light and darkness as the metro went in and out of tunnels. She then looked at the drowsy faces of the commuters before she drifted off to sleep. She was suddenly in her childhood house yard, talking to the skeletal face of her dead mother.

My suggestions.

Last edited by a moderator:

alpacinou

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Thanks, I'd like to know if my version works as well.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Well, she wasn't staring at the window. She was staring out the window. And she wasn't passing through the darkened tunnel and the brightness of day by turns. The train was doing that. So I would rewrite it.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
If she were looking her reflection, she was staring at the window. But the rest of the story tells us she's looking out at the lights going by. So use staring out.

If she lost consciousness, that means she fainted. You probably mean her attention drifted off.

alpacinou

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
If she were looking her reflection, she was staring at the window. But the rest of the story tells us she's looking out at the lights going by. So use staring out.

If she lost consciousness, that means she fainted. You probably mean her attention drifted off.

I mean she dozed off.
What about this?
On the subway Anna stared out the window, flashing between light and darkness as the metro went in and out of tunnels. She then looked at the drowsy faces of the commuters before she dozed off. She was suddenly in her childhood house yard, talking to the skeletal face of her dead mother.

Also, how can I express the underlined part in a better way?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Well, if she was on a subway she was underground. Or maybe she was only underground part of the time, which was why the train moved between the brightness of day and the darkness of the tunnels.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
You need a comma after "On the subway".

alpacinou

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Is this okay?

On the subway, Anna stared out the window, flashing between the brightness of early morning and the blackness of tunnels. She then looked at the drowsy faces of the commuters before she herself dozed off. Anna was suddenly in her childhood house yard, talking to the skeletal face of her dead mother.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
1. Who or what is flashing?
2. The final sentence makes it sound as if she has the memory of talking to the skeletal face of her dead mother when she was a child! I don't think that's what you mean.

alpacinou

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
1. Who or what is flashing?
2. The final sentence makes it sound as if she has the memory of talking to the skeletal face of her dead mother when she was a child! I don't think that's what you mean.

It's a dream/nightmare, not a memory.

Another try:

On the subway, Anna stared out the window, moving between the brightness of early morning and the blackness of tunnels. She then looked at the drowsy faces of the commuters before she herself dozed off. Anna was suddenly in her house's yard, talking to the skeletal face of her dead mother.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It's a [STRIKE]dream/[/STRIKE]nightmare, not a memory.

Another try:

On the subway, Anna stared out the window, moving between the brightness of early morning and the blackness of tunnels. She [STRIKE]then[/STRIKE] looked at the drowsy faces of the commuters before she [STRIKE]herself[/STRIKE] dozed off. Anna was suddenly in her house's yard, talking to the skeletal face of her dead mother.
Other than those two unneeded words, it's good.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Status
Not open for further replies.