• Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

I feel insulted

I feel insulted.
    I feel offended.

Do these sentences have the same meaning? Can we use "insulted" and "offended" interchangeably?

emsr2d2 is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: I feel insulted

Have you looked both words up in a good dictionary? What did you find? Tell us how you think they're used and whether you think, after some research, that they mean the same. Back it up with links to dictionary definitions.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

Tdol is online now Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

In some contexts, but if I were offered a miserable salary increase, I'd feel insulted, not offended.

suniljain is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    Have you looked both words up in a good dictionary? What did you find? Tell us how you think they're used and whether you think, after some research, that they mean the same. Back it up with links to dictionary definitions.
    I would say that "insulting somebody" sounds to be an intentional action to me, while "offending someone" is often something unintentional.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Quote Originally Posted by suniljain View Post
    I would say that "insulting somebody" sounds to be like an intentional action to me, while "offending someone" is often something unintentional.
    That's a pretty good way of looking at it, although it's entirely possible to offend someone intentionally. Can you give us some examples of each?
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

That's a pretty good way of looking at it, although it's entirely possible to offend someone intentionally. Can you give us some examples of each?
    Ram's ridiculous comment about my religion offended me. (intentional act)

I feel insulted when he left the party without informing me. (unintentional act)

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

1. Ram's ridiculous comment about my religion offended me. (intentional act)

2. I feel felt insulted when he left the party without informing telling me. (unintentional act)
    I think you've mixed up your own two definitions. In your previous post, you said you took offence to be unintentional and insult to be intentional. I agreed that that was a reasonable way to look at it. Your two examples above use them the other way round.

I'm not keen on sentence 2, intentional or not. I just don't think "insulted" is a reasonable reaction to that act. You could be annoyed or upset that someone left without saying goodbye, but insulted is a bit over the top.

Charlie Bernstein is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

I would say that "insulting somebody" sounds to be an intentional action to me, while "offending someone" is often something unintentional.
    Either one can be intentional or unintentional. So: Go back to your dictionary!

(And remember, there are very few pairs of English terms that always mean exactly the same thing.)
    I'm not a teacher. I speak American English. I've tutored writing at the University of Southern Maine and have done a good deal of copy editing and writing, occasionally for publication.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

I think you've mixed up your own two definitions. In your previous post, you said you took offence to be unintentional and insult to be intentional. I agreed that that was a reasonable way to look at it. Your two examples above use them the other way round.

I'm not keen on sentence 2, intentional or not. I just don't think "insulted" is a reasonable reaction to that act. You could be annoyed or upset that someone left without saying goodbye, but insulted is a bit over the top.
    I understood that you asked for examples of other way round; so accordingly I tried to give examples of "offended" and "insulted"

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Can you give us some examples of each?
    I apologise for confusing you. My request for examples referred to your understanding of the two words that you gave in the previous post. My comment about it being possible to offend someone intentionally was merely a bit of additional information.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last